Topic: An anniversary (of sorts)

Greetings to everyone.

I presume that most of us on this site have special days of remembrance related to our disease -- those dates when we or loved ones were first diagnosed, first started treatment, and so forth. Unfortunately, for too many, there is that date when a loved one was lost to this disease.

Along with the other important dates in my life -- the day I met my wife (which was also the very day I knew I would marry her!), our anniversary, the birth dates of my stepsons -- these new dates crowd my memory: the day I first became symptomatic, learned there was a mass in my liver, was diagnosed with CC, was told I had only a few months to live, had my surgeries. Although I am intent on moving forward and not dwelling on the past (as best I can), these dates are very important. They represent times that changed my life in a most profound way. Suddenly, in a brief moment, there was a paradigm shift, and I had to begin think about the meaning of  my life in new ways. I have come to accept many of the new probabilities in my new future. What I cannot accept, what I may never learn to accept, is that someday this disease might ultimately take away my ability to be with and care for my family.

I have reached the anniversary of one of those special dates. One year ago I became symptomatic. One day I was fine, the next day something was obviously very wrong.  As with everyone fighting this disease, there have been ups and downs. Unexpectedly, early this year I was able to have two surgeries that greatly extended my life. I did, however, have a microscopically positive margin and extensive lymphatic involvement. So, I was put on intense adjuvant therapy. Unfortunately, for the last several months, I have struggled with treatment-induced liver disease with all of the fatigue and symptoms that come with it. This cut my adjuvant therapy short, which is a cause for concern. Still, a year after my first symptoms I am here thanks to skilled and caring physicians, the love of family and friends, and the support of a faith community.  I am relatively healthy and currently tumor free (!), and able to be with my family and continue to work. This is so much more than we could have imagined a year ago. I am blessed.

Thank you all for letting me ramble on...and helping me to honor this date in my life.

Best wishes to all,
Mark

Re: An anniversary (of sorts)

Dear Mark, CONGRATULATIONS on your Anniversary, it's quite a story you have and yes, you are Blessed. I love the way you write and I agree that sometimes we just have to look at our blessings and be so thankful. No tumor is the best news ever. Wishing you many, many more anniversaries what ever they may be, and never apology on this site for rambling.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Sweetie  - You couldn't have shared your feelings more beautifully.  Today is an amazing day to be  celebrating new life.  I am so thankful to have been by your side through this hellish journey and I would do it again in a hearbeat.  You are my soulmate and I look forward to spending many joyous memories together. I love you.
Your wife Jeannemarie

Jeannemarie, what a couple! No wonder he fell in love with you at first sight! I love this! You really remind us all just what is important in life!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Congratulations to you both, Jeannemarie and Mark.  I remember the day Jeannemarie came to the board and how quickly things developed thereafter.  As you have mentioned in one of your postings, Mark, "now that is  advocacy."  What an incredible team you are.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

What a remarkable post Mark! Yes, we all have those special days of rememberance, some good, some not so good. Yours is one to celebrate and I hope you did! Sounds like you have a good understanding of life and what is important; to fill it with love. Keep on loving, keep on living! Hugs. Nancy

Loving my husband from afar.

Wow!  Mark, what a beautiful post and also your reply Jeannemarie.  Thanks for sharing your life and love with all of us.  We are all celebrating right along with you.  If that is you rambling on, go for it.  You have no idea how happy I am for both of you.  Keep it up and live your life to the fullest, together.

Love & Hugs,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Ohhh, this is so beautiful!
Mark, never ever accept this disease to take anything from you, just stay on track and don´t let it.
Maria

No matter whether you think that you can, or that you can´t, you´re right
//Henry Ford