Topic: Port Removal

My oncologist gave me the ok to have my port removed.
They gave me the option of having it done in the office or the OR.  I guess in the office they numb the site and remove it.  You are awake.  In the OR, you get twilight.
I am going to the OR because they only do it one day/wk in the office and the wait is over a month. I can go to the OR in a week.
Plus, I think it would be weird to have it removed while you are awake.  I've read other cancer patients either say it's no big deal or they hated it.

Take care,

Susie

Re: Port Removal

Susie, I have never had to have a port removed but I had twilight a month ago for a colonoscopy and I felt so good when I woke up!  Never felt a thing even though they call it twilight! I agree OR sounds good, why wait a month. Bet it will feel good to get rid of the appendage!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Susie-Congrats!! I had mine removed in ICU while awake because I had a blood infection, so it was an emergency procedure. I was sad, I was very sentimental about it!!
Lots of prayers and good luck-Cathy

I had mine removed in the doctor's office. It was a real non-event.  A little numbing and it was gone.  I talked to the doctor through the whole thing.  I think it might be over-kill to go to the OR.

I am sure either way it's great to get it out!  Congrats!

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Hi Susie,

No experiences to share here about getting a port removed, but just wanted to say that it is great that you are getting it removed!!

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Congratulations on this small yet positive step! Good riddance !

Willow

Congrats on getting it removed!

This Information Is Not Intended Nor Implied To Be A Substitute For Professional Medical Advice. You Should Always Seek The Advice Of Your Physician Or Other Qualified Health Care Provider

One more step on being done with this crappy cancer. So happy for you, Susie!

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Pam,
I couldn't have said it better.  It is a crappy cancer.  sad