Topic: Fatigue: Chemo or Cancer?

Mom finished round 5 and decided to take an extra week break from the chemo to help regain some strength.  Exactly the opposite occurred.  SHe is more tired than ever.  Her blood levels seem ok (for someone on chemo) and her tumor scans showed stable. 

How do you know which it is?

Re: Fatigue: Chemo or Cancer?

I think it is perfectly normal to be tired after chemo - the body has to cope with so many substances and reacts vehemently.

3 (edited by marions Tue, 30 Oct 2012 14:35:17)

Laur...chemo side effects are accumulative. I believe that there is nothing else to go by other than the blood count and the scan results.   Unless other symptoms come about one must assume that the tiredness is related to the chemotherapy treatments.  Rest and small activities coupled with meals high protein meals should help your Mom regain her strength. But, when in doubt it always is best to call the physician.  Hoping for your Mom to feel better real soon.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Hi Laurkcp,

Here is a link on fatigue that may be of help to your mum.

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinfor … tigue.aspx

My best wishes to you and your mum,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Gavin and Marion,

Thanks for your reply and well wishes.  It's just so hard to watch her lie around all day when she used to be so active.  We go to the onc today.

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

I know what you mean. It is very hard to watch our loved ones go through all of this. But please, stay strong and don't give up hope. Please let us know how your mum gets on with the onc today and know that we are all here for you.

Best wishes to you and your mum,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Lauren...I agree, it is difficult to watch these paramount behavior changes, but then we must hope that it will lessen with time.
Hugs to you,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Thanks all.  Turns out Mom's WBC was up to 14, which could be why she was feeling lousy.  Her liver functions are on the rise, yet her billirubin is at 0.7.  Doc suspects cholangitits and put her on Cipro and told us to come back on Friday to see how she is doing.  If things dont improve, they will add another antibiotic.

Her symptoms dont seem consistent with what I read about Cholangitis, but then again, what do I know! 

No chemo until this clears up.  This sure is an emotional roller coaster!

LAuren