Topic: Lauren had an allergic reaction to Oxaliplatin

Lauren had labs, doctor visit, and chemo infusion today or should I say yesterday (Wed.) because it is after midnight now. This was to be the 6th infusion of Oxaliplatin. She finished the infusions of Magnesium and Calcium and was just starting on the bag of Oxaliplatin. It had been reduced in strength because her platelets were fairly low. Her Grandma, my Mom was sitting back with her. Lauren said she started to feel kind of weird and itchy. She went to the restroom and said her stomach itched so bad and she scratched so hard that she was bleeding under the skin. She said she looked in the mirror and her face was beet red. It had turned that red just from the time she went to the restroom. She came back out and told her nurse she didn't feel well and told my Mom to go get me. I was in the waiting room because of the one visitor per patient rule. It kind of scared me and when I got back there a bunch of nurses were all running around and they got a PA. She took charge and started telling them what to do. I remember her yelling Stat really loud. Lauren said it felt like her ears were closing and her face. ears, and scalp were so red. They gave her Benedryl 3 times in her iv, 75 mg. total. They also gave her steroids and hydrocortisone in her iv. She had a blood pressure cuff and pulse oximeter on her finger. She developed hives all over. They sat and watched her for a long time. They hung a really large bag of saline and ran it full speed. I was quite impressed with all of their efficiency in handling the matter. She began to feel better after about an hour. Her doctor had told us that Oxaliplatin gets difficult to handle around the 6th infusion. Boy, did he hit that right on the head. She probably won't be able to have it again unless they figure a way that won't cause that reaction. I am kind of worried because it worked well for her and now what is he going to give her? Will it work? She is still supposed to take her Xeloda starting tomorrow or Friday, whichever feels better to her. She seems perfectly fine now. She was terrified when it happened. I never dreamed this would happen to her. Up until this point, she has handled her chemos very well with few side effects. Her poor nurse was frazzled because Lauren and another one of her patients both had bad reactions to Oxaliplatin on the same day.

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Re: Lauren had an allergic reaction to Oxaliplatin

Oh, Pam, what a nightmare! Poor Lauren, that had to be so scary. Thank goodness she had a teriffic PA. I hope she is good now, must have worn her out as well.  I will be most anxious to see what the ONC says. BTW it's its still Wed. out here for another 2 hours. Hope you both get some rest tongiht!! I will be thinking of you.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Sounds a lot like my reaction to cis. I went to the bathroom, and looked in the mirror and freaked out. Dr. Javle told me if I needed to go back on cis, he would send me to an allerigest in Houston that does an awesome job at desensitising cancer patients to chemo they have had reactions too.

~Tiffany~ 31 years young wink Fighting CC since 10-27-2011
Wife to Brian; Mommy to Carter (8) and Madison (4)
http://tiffanyschwantes.wordpress.com/
Liver transplant 7-9-2013

Pamela....what a scare this was!  I am so happy to know that Lauren is alright. 
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Sorry to hear Pam about Lauren's reaction here to the Oxaliplatin. Not good and no wonder it scared you. It sounds like Lauren has a good team around her when they jumped into action to deal with this. Glad to hear that Lauren is feeling better and I hope that her onc can get to the bottom of this and find a way to continue with it.

Hugs to you both,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

So sorry Pam.  What a scary experience!
Maybe they can premedicate her prior to infusion??  I would think with a reaction that bad they may either have to try to desensitize her or switch agents.  Let us know what they decide.
I wonder if she gets a break if the next infusion would be as bad??
That's so weird that people become allergic to chemo.  Common sense leads you to believe if you make it through the first dose, you're not allergic, but I guess that is obviously not the case.
Give our best to Lauren.

Susie

Gosh, Pam, what a shock to you all. I'm glad they flushed her through and settled the reaction down again. You must all be really shaken up.

I hope Lauren and her wonderful Team are feeling better today.

Much love to you all
Julia

“When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Although focused on ovarian cancer patients this article provides a good overview of platin-drug desensitizing. 
http://www.massgeneral.org/cancer/news/ … px?id=1605

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Thank you to all of you for your concern. Lauren is feeling great today, but it's back on the old Xeloda tomorrow.

Marion- I will ask her onc about desensitizing. Thanks for the article.

-Pam

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Pam,  Just caught this.  What a scarey experience for both of you.  Glad to hear all is now well and she is feeling great today.

Love & Hugs,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Thanks, Darla. She is out tonight with Giovanni and his Mom playing Bingo!!

Pamela, my mum would tell you that bingo is a great cure for many things indeed! I hope Lauren won!

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Wow, Pam. So sorry to hear about Lauren's bad reaction to the chemo. That is really scary. I am so glad that her skilled medical team was able to provide immediate help to assist her through the horrible reaction.

Our son, Jeff, is on the same regime - Oxaliplatin and Xeloda. He just finished his first round and tolerated it well, as did Lauren. Jeff starts round 2 this Friday.

We want to thank you for sharing Lauren's experience because this information is helpful to us in knowing what to look for down the road. While Lauren's episode is scarry, it is also encouraging because she was able to make it through the experience "with flying colors" with  the help of her medical team. We are so glad to hear that Lauren is now doing well.

We hope Lauren won at least one BINGO jackpot. If not , hang on to that dauber, she's bound to win next time.

Yeah Lauren! Hang in there you guys. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Bob & Nancy
(Jeff's Mom & Dad)

Thanks so much for your post. Bob and Nancy! I wrote about Lauren's experience so anyone else taking Oxaliplatin can watch out for this reaction. I think a reaction can happen with any chemo, but Lauren's doctor said it is not uncommon for it to happen usually around the 6th or 7th time. It was scary, but I knew we were in the best place if it was going to happen and they have handled many allergic reactions before.

Lauren did not win at Bingo, but her boyfriend did win $200. Yippee!!

Since Lauren does not read this site, I will be sure to read your nice post to her. I hope Jeff is doing well. Bless his heart. Take care. You two are just so sweet.

Love, -Pam

Pam,

Thanks for posting.  I'm sorry Lauren had to go through that!   Chemo is bad enough!   My mom is supposed to get her 6th oxiliplatin treatment today.  I will definitely talk to the onc about that.

Best wishes,
Lauren

I am happy Lauren is doing better after such a scary experience.  Please keep the good news coming.

Good luck to your Mom, Lauren and thank you , Sharon.

Pam,
Thank you for sharing and happy Lauren is ok!  My sister has only had about 4 treatments of Gem-Cis so far and has had allergic reactions to other things in the past (not chemo), so this info is helpful. She too, prefers not to read this site, so I'm gaining info to share selectively.
Cheers, Willow

Willow

I was feeling a little worried about Lauren only being on Xeloda since she had the allergic reaction to Oxaliplatin. I sent her oncologist, Dr. Zalupski, an e-mail on Friday and he sent one back saying he would call us on Sun. or Mon. He called my husband's cell on Sunday when Lauren and I were at the grocery store and said he would call back this evening. Lauren and I were both kind of nervous today. I had told him in the e-mail that we never wanted to hear that he had no other options for Lauren. I also thanked him for his expertise, compassion, and wonderful care. I know he cares so much about Lauren and wants to help her. Well, he called back this evening and Lauren answered the phone. He said he could try to desensitize her to the Oxaliplatin, but is afraid of the consequences. Her reaction to the chemo was really bad and he said what if that was just your mild reaction? What if it was life threatening next time? He doesn't want to risk it. He also said there are many other chemos he could give her, but wants to help her without hurting her. Lauren told him that she trusted him and would continue with his plan. Do you see why we love him! She is going to finish her Xeloda on Wed., take a week off, take another two weeks of Xeloda, and have a CT on Dec. 4. We will take it from there. I am so happy and thankful for such a wonderful doctor for Lauren.