Topic: Possibly Operable After Six Months of Chemo Treatment...

Hi
Last week my mother had her six month PET scan and has just finished her cycle of Gemzar. My mother’s oncologist has just placed her on Xeloda as my mother’s platelets have been low the past few chemotherapy treatments.

Initially when my mother was diagnosed we were told that a resection was not an option as the cancer had spread to three lymph nodes. Based on the reports from the PET scan last week the interpretation of report is:

a)
Mild interval decrease in activity and extent of right liver lobe disease. However, significant metabolically active disease is still present in the liver.

b)   
Interval resolution of FDG-avid left internal mammary and porta-hepatic adenopathy

c)   
Mild residual activity in small left supraclavicular, left peri-coeliac and right retrocrural lymph nodes are equivocal for post-therapy inflammation versus residual low-volume metabolically active nodal disease.

Has anyone had experiences where surgery has become an option with the same or similar results as my mothers (understanding that each and every CC case if different). My mother’s oncologist still saying that surgery is not an option.

Regards, Kylie

Re: Possibly Operable After Six Months of Chemo Treatment...

Kylie...as far as I remember, your Mom has a metal stent for some time now.  That in itself will make surgery rather unlikely however; the only way to know for sure is to speak to the physician.  Unfortunately I am not qualified to comment on the report, but please don't give up on hope.  Several of our members are holding back progression of this disease and some even treat it similar to that of a chronic condition.  Please keep us posted; we are in this together.  All my best wishes are heading your way.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Re: Possibly Operable After Six Months of Chemo Treatment...

Hi Marion,

Your memory serves you well, my mum does have a mental stent once she was diagnosed.

Can the stent be removed if surgery is an option.?

I was thinking of having mum talk to her GP with regards to maybe a referral to a surgeon for a consult.

Kylie

Re: Possibly Operable After Six Months of Chemo Treatment...

Kylie..... A consultation with a surgeon specializing in biliary tract cancer would be a great choice.  With this disease we can't obtain enough expert opinions. 
The surgeon also would be able to answer your question re: the metal stent and the possibility of surgery.  Generally though metal stents are considered permanent and exclude patients from resection. 
Having said that, dear Kylie, my husband had been fitted with a metal stent and still received a resection.  The surgeon had anticipated spending hours removing all the little metal pieces and yet much to his surprise the stent lifted out easily.  So, one never knows what to expect.
Good luck with the consultation.
Hugs are heading your way,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Re: Possibly Operable After Six Months of Chemo Treatment...

Hello Kylie, that's great to hear that your mother has done well with chemo so far.

Just thought I'd say that if you are interested, I can give you the name of the surgeon in Sydney who operated on my husband earlier this year for recurrent intrahepatic CC. This surgeon sees quite a number of CC patients each year, sees lots of people from out of Sydney and is also very approachable. He works at RPA, which has a big liver unit (including the national liver transplant centre) as well as privately at the Mater, which is where we went. Your mother may not want to travel but just thought I'd mention it.

Best wishes,

Genevieve

Re: Possibly Operable After Six Months of Chemo Treatment...

Genevieve...thanks so much for chiming in.   I am wondering:  would you be so kind as to add the name of this surgeon to our list?
http://www.cholangiocarcinoma.org/punbb … hp?id=3126

Thanks a bunch,
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Re: Possibly Operable After Six Months of Chemo Treatment...

Hi Genevieve

If you could please give me the Dr's name and contact details that would be fanstatic. My mother's condition is still very good and flying from Perth to Sydney would not a problem at all.

Thank you very much for sharing this information.

Kylie
X

Re: Possibly Operable After Six Months of Chemo Treatment...

Hi Kylie,

Contact details are:

Dr Charbel Sandroussi
Upper GI, Hepatobiliary and Transplant Surgeon
100 Carillon Ave, Suite 306 RPAH Medical Centre
Newtown NSW 2042

Phone: (02) 95651375

His secretary's name is May.

Good luck!

Genevieve

Re: Possibly Operable After Six Months of Chemo Treatment...

Genevieve....would you mind posting this info here also?
http://www.cholangiocarcinoma.org/punbb … hp?id=3126
Thanks and hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Re: Possibly Operable After Six Months of Chemo Treatment...

Sorry Marion, I've just posted it now.

Best wishes,

Genevieve

Re: Possibly Operable After Six Months of Chemo Treatment...

Thanks much, Genevie.  Our Australian patients have received a gift.
Hugs right back at you,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Re: Possibly Operable After Six Months of Chemo Treatment...

Kylie:
As far as i know, depending on the lymph nodes, resection is less of an option because of chances of cc spreading. If the surgeon is pretty sure he can get them all, it might be an option. I don't know about stents.
But with responsiveness from therapy, they might not want to try. If they miss one cell it would be worse than leaving the cancer alone, according to my surgeon.
All the best. And remember she's responding to treatment so that's good news.

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.