Topic: posting about george here

hello everybody,theres no change in george,its been a rough night,george mumbles alot,most things i dont understand,but when i do how do i answer him?for instance,a few minutes ago he asked me who keaton was outside with,keaton is our grandson,hes not here.how do i answer him when this happens?

Re: posting about george here

Lynn, do you feel like he really wants an answer? If so just make something up like, Oh Keaton is playing with some other children. Once George asks something not sure he remembers it. Is Geroge pretty much without pain? Has he mentioned Chemo again?Hang in there Lynn. Be strong!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Lynn,
I'm sorry you and George are having such a rough time . I don't know the "right" answer but because I am caring for my Dad with Alzheimer's, I can tell you that there is no harm in going along with someone's thoughts even if they are not real.  Sometimes I gently correct Dad (telling the truth so he doesnt get hopes up for something thats not happening in reality) and sometimes I just sort of agree/ go along with it or change the subject (depends on situation). The director told me another strategy is to ask more questions or details about George's statement/idea and he may end up answering his own question or changing to a new subject. Avoid getting frustrated trying to convince him of anything he can't grasp. Hope this helps. Keeping you both in my thoughts. Willow

Willow

Dear Lynn

I wish I could add some helpful comment, but all I can do is hug you across the Internet.

This is a dreadful time for you all and my heart is with you.

Love Julia xx

"Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician."

thanks everybody.im taking your advise about how to answer george,miss kay(nurse)was here,she ordered george something for his congestion,she can hear it in his lungs.george talks about odd things,im doing the best i can.his sister came by after work,she broke down,then went to their moms and to her just how bad george is,then she called me a few minutes ago,she was crying,and said shes comming in the morning.george is her first born,on top of the pain and heartache im in,the pain is much deeper when you lose a child,i know,i lost a son 28 years ago,so i the burning heart ripping pain that she is going through george is her son.sorry rambling dont know if i made sense...love and hugs Lynn.

Dear Lynn, you always make sense. I am glad George's Mom is coming and his Sister has been stopping by. Thank goodness I have never lost a child but I can only imagine the pain. You are a strong woman Lynn, and you know you can keep calling me as you want to. Sending you gigantic hugs!

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Dear Lynn,

I am so very sorry for all you and George are going through. I am glad his Mom is coming to see him. Family is everything. Take care and much love being sent to all of you.

-Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Lynn...know that you and George are surrounded by love in this so very precious time.  Stay strong and know that we are here for you.
My heart is with you.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

every day this gets harder and harder,early this morning george fell,he took me down with him,hes ok,it took awhile but i got him back up and in bed,george is a very stubborn man he wants to do things on his own his way.with what little strenght he has,he puts up on heck of a fight,and it was because of this he fell.I was walking him back to bed after going to the bathroom,and just as i turned him to guide him back into bed,he pushed me away,and we both went down.thats not all,a few minutes ago,he got up to go to the bathroom,i tried to help him up,at first he said leave me alone im alright,he tried but couldnt,so again i helped,when he got to his feet i was still holding on to his arm,he pushed me away,so i followed close behind,he made it,ok,when he started walking back to the recliner i was right behind him ready,well,he started falling sideways i caught him,but if the back door wasnt there,we would of went down again,i hurt my little toe.Miss kay is getting him a bedside potty and comming by this afternoon.i will talk to her about what else i can do.he is so restless,he dont know where he wants to be,in bed or his recliner.i will let you all know when miss kay leaves and what she sugests.love and hugs Lynn

AW, Lynn, I am so sorry about this, just is not supposed to be this way! I believe that Miss Kay is the best one to handle this. I just wish I could take all of this away from you and George!

Dear Lynn,

I am real sorry to hear what you and George are going through right now. I wish that I could say things that would help right now. Please know that we are all here for you and my thoughts are with you and George right now.

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Lynn, so sorry to hear of your falls.  I have experience with this and it is tough.  Besides the bedside toilet maybe they can provide George with a rolling walker that has a seat.  Don't mean to scare you, but my dad became very confused and unpredictable.  Falling is a big concern.   Hope things stabilize.  Lots of good thoughts coming your way.  Pam M

i cant do this...im breaking im alone

Lynn...someone needs to be with you.  This is not something any of us are prepared for.  Where is the Hospice nurse?

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

i didnt call her,i gave george a sponge bath a few minutes ago,and it took so much out of him just to lift his legs so i could dress him,he was breathing hard like he ran a marathon,i lost it,i got him settled and lsft the room to have a good cry.his mother and i talked today and started making arrangements.its just been a very trying day...

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you, Lynn.

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Lynn, please keep in mind that you might want to ask the Hospice Nurse if George can go to a Hospice Facility. That is what I ended up doing with Teddy, and nothing to be ashamed of. I was afraid I couldn't handle him and that he would get better care at the facility.

So sorry, Lynn.  Take it hour by hour.  You are doing an incrediable job.  We are all thinking of you and George.

good evening everybody,we had quite an eventful early morning,and day.First,at 5am or so george sat up and hollered for his mom,he had his legs of the bed and he wanted to get up,i couldnt help i tried tho,he is so weak he couldnt,so he fell back on the bed  with his legs hanging off,i tried to get them back on the bed,his legs were just to heavy,i called hospice and told sandy whats going on and they send an aide right away,in the mean time,i wasnt giving up,i got georges legs back on the bed,his aide,David,oh what a god send he is awesome,now george wouldnt coperate with me at all,But with david,george was awesome,David is so good with him,even his sister thinks hes great,well,anyway,david stayed 2 hrs,bathed george,shaved him gave him a massage,he really relaxed him.mis kay got here just after david left,and the hospital bed was delivered this afternoon,its wonderful...georges sisters and brother spent the whole day with him,his brother even helped me change georges shirt.i am sitting right beside george while typing this,yawning and snoring,and now taking the covers off,gotta go for now,Love and hugs Lynn

Thanks for yhe update. things really do change hour by hour! So glad the day improved with your extra helpers. That's key..you can't do it alone. Happy George is resting now and is surrounded by the people who love him.

Willow

Lynn, I am so happy you got the Hospital Bed. It will make a big diffrence. I am also happy that George's family is there and helping. Hope you get some good rest tonight! Lynn, you are doing just awesome! I am thinking about you all the time.

Lynn, you are one amazing woman. Sending prayers for all of you. Please try to get some rest.
Hugs,
Lisa

This Information Is Not Intended Nor Implied To Be A Substitute For Professional Medical Advice. You Should Always Seek The Advice Of Your Physician Or Other Qualified Health Care Provider

Lynn....so glad to see that people have come to your aid.  Hopefully George and you can get some rest tonight.  Lynn, I don't know whether I understand you correctly however; if George is trying to remove his covers then it may mean that he feels hot due to the fact that his internal body temperature can't regulate normally. Don't be afraid to leave him uncovered at least for a while. You may want to run this passed the Hospice nurse for clarification.
Thinking of you and sending tons of hugs,
Marion

Good morning ,well,we had a pretty restfull night,marions,keeping him uncovered off and on really helped,thank you for reassuring me it was ok,george slept much better,and when he got a little restless,i put a sheet over him.but this is what i wanted to tell you all,a few minutes ago,when i went to get my coffee,and go right back to george,wasnt gone 3 min,he was on his feet i dropped my coffee and too a giant leap to get him,and lay him back down,i ask him what are you doin,he whispered  i got to pee...when he had his gulbladder removed in may,i was there 24 7 taking care of him,so i would hold the bedside urinal thingy so he could go,basically that is what i have been doing for him now,he has an aduld diaper,and i know he dose not like it,so i started un doing it,and helpiing him like i did in may,hes much more comfortable well,more later love and hugs lynn

P.S.Lainy i was going to call you yesterday,i just got busy with everybody being here..i will try to call you later....

Lynn, I have a suggestion about the diaper. If you ask for a couple of the rubber bed sheets they will protect the bed if George has an accident and I think you can then leave the diaper off. Unless of course company comes. Teddy didn't want to be covered either but they made him wear the diaper because people would walk by the room (this was at their facility). He would try to remove it and I just gently moved his hands away. Just curious, is George a little calmer if he hears soft noise in the background like the TV or radio? Call anytime.