Topic: Odd question that no doctors have an answer for

My dad who was recently diagnosed with CC has been experiencing hiccups several times a day. Nobody seems to know why this is happening. Has anybody else experienced this side effect?

Re: Odd question that no doctors have an answer for

When you first come to this site there is a Google search bar on the right hand side. Type in hiccups and a bunch of posts come up. It seems many get them from chemo or steroids by reading these posts. Hope you find an answer.

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

According to your postings, your Dad has not started chemotherapy treatments as of yet.  Often times we hear of Gemzar causing hiccups.  Have you tried a teaspoon of sugar or pineapple juice?
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

A spoon of sugar helped my Dad.  He sometimes had them after a stent procedure.

Hope this helps

Andie

Devoted Daughter to the most wonderful Dad a girl could ask for.  Sadly lost his battle on 19.02.11, peacefully in the arms of Mom and I.  As requested by Dad "we will keep on smiling".

Thank you for the replies. When I put in hiccups in the search it all talks about chemo being a cause. Well my dad hasn't started chemo yet. He's undergone 7 treatments of radiation and is on pain meds & antibiotics but that is all. He did have 2 stents put in a week ago Tuesday so maybe that could be contributing. Another condition since coming home from the hospital on Wednesday is that he wakes up soaking wet from night sweats. Again my search says chemo can cause this, but could it also be the morphine? So far no jaundice, thank god but he does look a bit pale. Thanks again for all the replies, this website has become my new addiction smile

Honeez...in my husband's case, hiccups and night sweats were caused by the obstruction in his biliary tract.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Hi Honeez,

My dad also had hiccups and he never had chemo either. We never got to the bottom of what was causing them either so I hope you have some success with that and also in dealing with them too.

Best wishes to you and your dad,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Hi all!  Ken had his second treatment today and they added carboplatin.  The information sheet didn't seem too bad.  Ken is a little disappointed that he probably will lose his hair (he has a full head of beautiful gray hair).  Has anyone used this drug and what types of side effects did you experience?  Was it used in combination with gemcitabine?  They loaded him up with anti-nausea drugs before administering the chemo and he has two anti-nausea drugs at home to take if needed.  We are both hoping he tolerates this treatment as well as the last.

Thanks for all the information!

Jayne

Jayne, I didn't take carboplatin so I can't give advice. I can suggest that you stay on top of the the nasuea drugs. My doctors wanted me to always have nausea meds in my system and not to wait till I was nauseas, it worked. Ken, I am sorry about hair loss, that is never a good thing.
Lots of prayers-Cathy

Dear Honeez1, sorry I just saw the post on Hiccups! After my Teddy's Whipple he had hiccups ALL the time for 3 months. Finally a Pharmacist friend mentioned an over the counter prpduct called Brioshe which is like a ground Alka Seltzer. It comes in a blue bottle and can be bought at CVS or Walgreens. Teddy took it 2 X in an hour and the hiccups NEVER came back!  I know the constant hiccups are just awful and use up all that good energy that we need for healing! bEST OF LUCK.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Jane....Carboplatin is the easier to tolerate drug of the platin family.  It has been used widely before Gem/Cis became somewhat the standard of treatment for this cancer.  It is for this reason that the more current postings report on the later.  I did however; find this:
http://www.cholangiocarcinoma.org/punbb … 255#p57255
Hugs,
Marion

Hi Honeez, my dad has also had persistent problems with hiccups since having his stent inserted, that seems to have been the trigger.  He is awake all night sometimes because of the constant hiccuping.  I suggested to my mum that they try peppermint oil in a drop of warm water and it seems to have worked (fingers crossed) so might be something others can try.  Worth a go!

best wishes, Mags

"Even Darkness is not dark for you, and the night is as clear as the day.... " RIP Dad, always loved.

Hi Mags,

Sorry to hear about your dads hiccups, grrrrrrr to them to say the least. My dad had them as well and they were most annoying for him to say the least. Thanks for the tip about the peppermint oil and water your dad tried. Fingers crossed that that continues to work for him.

Best wishes to you and your dad,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Hi Gavin, think I spoke too soon - my dad's hiccups seemed to get better after trying the peppermint oil, but are now back again and the peppermint isn't helping!  Having said that, it might still help some people, so I guess still worth a try.  Are the hiccups just part of the condition, CC, as I notice a lot of people seem to get them?

As you say, they really are the most annoying thing - they keep him awake for most of the night sometimes.

Best wishes and just to say what a great help these discussion boards are - everyone is really supportive and kind.

"Even Darkness is not dark for you, and the night is as clear as the day.... " RIP Dad, always loved.

Mags,

I found this article on hiccups that has some links in it as well.  Not sure if it will help but thought I'd pass it along.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/125715-hiccups/

Hope the hiccups end soon and your Dad can get a good nights sleep.

-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Hi Randi, many thanks for the info - that's really a help.  I've heard that the spoon of sugar can be good, but my dad is diabetic so not sure if that would be great for him.  Might be worth looking into some of the drugs the article mentioned, as maybe one of those could help. 

Thanks again and best wishes, Mags

Mags, again worth me repeating. After my husbands Whipple Surgery he hiccupped non stop for 3 months. No one could figure out why or have a remedy. Not sure you can get this in the UK but there is an over the counter product called brioschi antacid. It looks like alka seltzer...no sugar. Teddy took it 2 X in an hour and NEVER had hiccups again. The hiccups are very annoying and use up a lot of good energy needed for healing. I am diabetic but feel 1 tsp of sugar is not going to hurt anything if it can help. Best of luck.

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

18 (edited by MAGS1 Sun, 17 Feb 2013 10:28:27)

Hi Lainy, yes, I agree, was just talking to my mum and we were just saying as my dad's blood sugar seems to be under control, the odd tsp of sugar won't do any harm, especially if it means he gets some sleep.  I was telling my mum about the brioschi, I noticed you had mentioned that on some other threads, but don't think we can get it in the UK.  It does sound really good so we are going to ask my dad's sister, who lives in Omaha, Nebraska, if she could possibly get some and send it over.  Are there any particular stores that she would be able to get it from.

Would be fantastic if it helps get rid of the hiccups!
Many thanks, Mags

Great, Mags. I got it at Walgreens or CVS. She could just Fex Ex it over to you! Oh, how I hated to hear those continual hiccups, I used to feel so bad for Teddy as they never stopped for that whole healing period. Again, best of luck.

Yes, they seem like such a trivial thing, but they are really awful for the poor person who has them.  Thanks so much for the info, will get on to my aunt and ask if she can arrange to send some over.

Best wishes, Mags

Hi Mags,

Sorry to hear that the hiccups are back, grrr! The brioschi antacid that Lainy mentions is not unfortunately available in the UK. More grrrr! I tried to get it for my dad when he had his hiccups and I couldn't get it, not available here. Hope that your Aunt can get it soon and get it shipped over here asap.

Best wishes,

Gavin

Hi Gavin, my mum is going to email her sister-in-law today and ask if they will sort the Brioschi out from their end, so hopefully we might have some soon - here's hoping it does the trick!

Best wishes, Mags

Good luck with getting it sourced Mags. And make sure that your mums sister in law ships it over here via airmail and not surface mail. Airmail should take around 5 days and surface mail will take weeks!!!

Gavin

Thanks Gavin, will let you know if we manage to get some.

Not sure about surface mail anymore.  Had been told by Post Office employee that everything mailed will go by airplane (FEDEX and UPS, etc.)