Topic: Last Chapter...Update on Dad

It's been 2 months since my last post, but I have checking in often to seek answers.  I have to say that as my family has navigated through this horrible journey with my dad, this website has been the best place to get real answers and support! 

After dads next to death experience back in December, he bounced back for a few weeks and was able to do some normal things that he loves...travel, spend time with family & friends and eat again.  He began this journey weighing 198 and now weighs 138. 

Moving forward...two weeks ago he began to decline again, no energy, fevers, rigor shakes, vomiting and then a few days things became even worse.  He began to have blood in his vomit and stools and developed pain in his right leg. He is now in ICU and suffering from internal bleeding and a very low blood pressure. He has had 7 bags of blood since yesterday and his counts remain very low. This evening my mother was told that there is nothing else they can do.

Even though you know this day will eventually come with stage 4 bile duct cancer....it still feels like a bad dream.

Because of the snow storm that is attacking the Midwest....I will have to wait for this storm to pass before I can travel to him.  it is about a 6-7 hour drive. I am hoping to him on Wednesday!  I am going to be devastated if I don't get to see and spend time with him before he leaves us.

Going to bed tonight with a very heavy heart.....

Re: Last Chapter...Update on Dad

Dear Rena, I am so very sorry to read about your Dad. There is nothing, no words to describe what it is like to watch a loved one go through such an uneasy journey, I know, I watched, too. The kindest thing in life we can do at times is to wish for the Peace to come quickly. I too hope you can make it to see Dad, but I also believe he will pick his own time and you will have to abide with his wishes. Hang in, be strong, we are all with you! Your heart will be heavy, for awhile, and then like a Miracle your good Memories will ovecome the rest.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

3 (edited by Karen Wed, 06 Mar 2013 08:34:04)

Dear Rena,
Holding you and your family in light and love.  Please know that should you not get to see your Dad before he transitions it is because, as Lainy stated, that would be his wishes and do not "beat" yourself over that.  Sometimes people wait until there is nobody in the room before making the move.  Know you are NOT alone in this heart-wrenching journey. 
Peace to you and your family,
Karen

Wishing all God's blessings!

Dear Rena,

I am so very sorry for your dad, you and the rest of your family.  I really feel for you not being with him.  I am a 6 hour drive from my sister and it is very hard being away from her and the family - much harder than I prepared myself for or thought it would be.  Please try not to be to hard on yourself - these are circumstances of which you have no control and your love for your dad is no less because of the miles between you.

Clare

Clare

In the stars now . . . .

Dear Rena,

Thinking of you and your family and hoping things work out. 

Love & Hugs,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Dear Rena,
So sorry for your pain. Dads are a wonderful part of our lives and so hard to see them suffer. Praying for your safe travel and some very special time together.
Peace,
Lisa

This Information Is Not Intended Nor Implied To Be A Substitute For Professional Medical Advice. You Should Always Seek The Advice Of Your Physician Or Other Qualified Health Care Provider

Rena...my heart is with you and your family.  Be careful while driving if and when the weather allows.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Rena,

I am so sad for you and your family.  Please travel carefully and I will be hoping that you get to spend some time with your Dad. 

Hugs,

-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Dear Rena,

I am very sorry to hear about your Dad. I wish him peace and comfort on his final journey. Please be careful trying to get to him.

Prayers and love,
-Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Dear Rena,

I am very sorry to hear about your dad. I wish that there was soemthing that I could say that would help right now. That must be so hard for you right now not being able to be there with him and I hope that you can get there as soon as possible and safely. Please know that I am thinking of you and I wish you every strength right now.

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Dear Rena,
I have fixed my post....I am so sorry that I had not proof read before posting.  Truly, you are not alone.  There are many angels around your Dad, you, your whole family right now. 
Peace be,
Karen

Wishing all God's blessings!

Thanks for all the prayers!  I made here to Ohio late yesterday and dad is still hanging in there.  My brother and I ended up calling his Dr late Tuesday nite to see if there was anything else they could do or look at in regards to his internal bleeding because up to that point we didn't have clear answers as to where it was coming from.  As a result...the next morning they ended up doing an arterial scan....can you believe they found an aneurism (large) on his main artery.  They determined that they could go and possibly try to repair it.  After a 2nd attempt, the Dr was able to make the fix.  At this point, we are waiting to see if the fix is working. The are closely monitoring his blood levels to see if the internal bleeding has stopped.  However, he is still so weak, not talking or able to eat much.  Seeing him lie there so helpless hurts so much!  I am trying to come to peace with the fact that he very well may be at the end of his journey. We will see what the next few days bring.  I am able to stay for at least a week...so glad about that!  My mom and Dad's mom really need me here right now!  This is for sure the hardest thing that our family has been through!  I love the quiet and peaceful moments alone with my dad!  He often can share his feelings and thoughts with me that he doesn't tell my mom in fear that she would worry. 
Please keep him in your prayers and I will keep you all posted.  Your hugs, prayers and encouraging words are most appreciated.

Hi Rena,

I am so happy you made it to see your dear Dad. I'm sure he is so comforted by you being there. I am sending many hugs, prayers, and warm thoughts to you and your family.

Love,
-Pam

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Oh, Rena, this is a much better report! You are there, hopefully they found the and corrected the problem and now let's hope the appetite comes back even a little. I know its all baby steps but I feel you came, got things done and now prayers that Dad can heal from this big bump. Looking for more good news to come.

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

My dad is simply an amazing soul!  Two weeks ago he crashed twice while lying on a hospital bed in the ER.  The amazing Dr's got him stabilized after draining his stomach, giving him 10 bags of blood, 9 bags of fluids, then spending 5 days in ICU and 3 days in step down.  Dad decided that he was not ready to leave us yet and he fought back with a vengeance.  He is back home again but still fighting several challenges...loss of appetite, severe swelling in his feet, legs and mid-section and he is sleeping tons again. I was able to spend 6 days with mom & dad during and after his hospital stay.  I was so glad that I was there to support my mom and to help get dad home form the hospital.  As I left for Ohio, we weren't sure if Dad was going to pull through.  I tried to prepare myself for the worst!!!  With amazing grace, he jumped over another hurdle and pushes forward with hope!

Rena what a great post! The eating/nutrition regime can be as simple as Carnation Instant breakfast. Teddy loved the Vanilla and I would blend in a banana, this was recommended by Hospice and can be taken for each meal if Dad doesn't feel like eating. It has all the nutrients needed.
I am so very happy you made it safe and sound to Ohio. What does the ONC recommend for now? A whole ton of prayers, thoughts and love headed your way.

Rena, that's great news and what a crazy ride your Dad has been on!! So glad he is home and you got to spend time with him, your Mom and Grandmother.
Willow

Willow

Hi Rena,

Thanks for letting us know how things are with your dad, what a fighter he is! That is great that he is back home again with his family and I am glad that you were there to support your mum during your dads time in hospital. Tons of positive thoughts heading yours and your dads way!

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Hi Rena,

Your Dad truly is one amazing fighter. I hope he will continue to improve. Much hope, strength, and love being sent to you and your Dad.

Hugs,
-Pam

Rena....indeed you have an amazing Dad.  So thrilled to hear of the turnaround. 
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Rena....indeed you have an amazing Dad.  So thrilled to hear of the turnaround. 
Hugs,
Marion