Topic: Been a while... but good news anyway!

Well, it's been a bit since I've posted, and I apologize for that... Since the Tough Mudder www.toughmudder.com on 12/4 and vacations at the end of the year along with a career change on 1/4/13 (I'm now officially a Realtor, activated my license and sell homes for the builder I used to work for here in Sarasota, www.johncannonhomes.com) it has been a bit busy! I had my 1.5 year scan on Tuesday this week. My wife just gave me a call and said that my scan and all bloodwork were normal. It's kind of funny because I seriously did not even have the scan on my mind nor was I experiencing any 'scanxiety' at all either. bottom line... CLEAN SCAN BABY! I'm wishing everyone else on the board luck, prayers, and support as you fight the good fight with CC.  It was a shock to me when I was told post surgery what it was (didn't even officially know until 5 days after surgery) and the recovery/post surgery infections/2nd and 3rd drain insertions/8 weeks of antibiotics with tube sticking out of my chest/3 months chemo/5 weeks of radiation appear to have worked!!! So far, so good. I'll be popping in periodically too. Anyone wants to send a direct note, derinhampton@gmail.com and I'll get right back to you!

Derin

Husband to Eileen, Dad to Hunter (16) and Sydney (14)
Attitude is everything, you have to keep it positive! And take it one day at a time, it's all anyone can do with this disease...

Re: Been a while... but good news anyway!

Great news and update, and congrats on the new job!

Derin, Derin, Derin honestly I was thinking about you a couple of days ago. And here is a big YIPPEE! So glad to hear your good news and congrats on the career change. My daughter is a Realtor here in Phoenix. Much good luck on that as well. Keep that good news coming and we love your posts so keep those coming too!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Derin....Wonderful news all the way around.  Good luck with life taking on some normality again.  Enjoy.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Great news Derrin!
You are one busy guy.  Thanx for sharing!

-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Hi Derin,

This is great news, superb!!! Sounds like your life is all systems go and that is great to hear. Enjoy and I hope the fish keep biting!

Best wishes,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Nice to hear from you, Derin. I am so happy that scans are clear and you are living the good life. Can't get much better than that!!! Please keep us updated.

Best wishes,
-Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

And the official findings:

CHEST: There is no axillary, mediastinal or hilar adenopathy. There are no suspicious pulmonary nodules. There is no pneumothorax or pleural effusion. The pulmonary arteries are well opacified without filling defect.

ABDOMEN AND PELVIS: The patient remains status post partial hepatectomy. The liver has a stable appearance. The patient is status post cholecystectomy. The spleen, bilateral adrenal glands and both kidneys have a normal appearance. The pancreas appears normal. There is no adenopathy. Delayed images demonstrate no filling defect within the bilateral renal  collecting systems, ureters, or urinary bladder.

IMPRESSION: Stable examination., Findings are NOT suspicious for tumor recurrence or metastatic disease.

It's official... Gotta love it!!!

Derin

Attitude is everything, you have to keep it positive! And take it one day at a time, it's all anyone can do with this disease...

Great news!!!  Very happy for you.

Derin,
Despite the stunted medical terminology, indeed "gotta love it"! I also love the way you are moving forward and leaving this awful disease behind. Congratulations and God Bless...

bob

Derin....ha, ha....you present with a better medical picture than that of the majority of people, cancer or not.  Enjoy life, dear Derin.  And, once in a while please pop in on us; we love it.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Derin, I am so very HAPPY for you. If I am not mistaken aren't you planning a Bat Mitzvah? Have to tell you and Randi this. I am making Seder this weekend as 3 of the 4 Grandkids will be home for Spring Break. Went shopping for Gefilte Fish and apparently they no longer make it with only Whitefish but add Carp or Pike. Finally at my 5th store, I found 2 jars of only Whitefish. Of course I bought both jars. So told the kids Grandma went fishing for Gefilte Fish. Just with a mental picture I was cracking up. Doesn't take much these days!
So elated for you and your family. You know you are one of our Super Heros! I sure hope you stick around with us, we love your posts.

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Lainy/Derin,

Gefilte fish is a running joke in our family.  Some of my daughters boyfriends along the way have had the great privilege of going to either my mother's house (when she was alive) or my sister's house for Passover.  The running joke was that they were required to eat Gefilte Fish...which of course grossed them all out.  My daughter's current boyfriend sent me a picture of himself holding a jar of Gefilte fish at the grocery store and told me he was practicing for Passover!

Oh and I still remember when my girls figured out that there was no such fish as a gefilte!!  They were so appalled.

That jarred stuff does not hold a candle to my grandmother's homemade Gefilte fish!!

Lainy, we also move our Passover seder so that we can all be together.  Ours is next weekend at my sister's house.

-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Randi, when I was married to Brand X my Mother in law whom I loved dearly, and I made it once from scratch. OMG My house smelled like a fish tank for 5 days. We also take a few liberties at the Seder. I wrote a short one and my Granddaughter Lexy drew the cover. Instead of hard boiled eggs my daughter makes devil eggs,she makes the best. Instead of parsley I use celery. This year a potato Kugel, never made one and a sweet Farfel Kugel. I have already hidden the Afikomen as I put it in a baggie. No sponge cake this year too hard for me right now so will get an Angel Food Cake for the Strawberries. I know G-d will forgive me. Chix soup in the freezer with 28 perfectly formed Matzo Balls.Glazed Chix sitting right next to it.
Oh, oh! Guess what I hear??? When we talk food Gavin is NOT far away! If anyone has questions we will be glad to answer. This is all talkie talk about our Seder (Ritual Dinner) for Passover. We get excited. Its a biggie and a lot of work from the heart. Hint: If you make your own Matzo Balls and boil them? Instead of water use canned or boxed chix broth as the balls will pick up the flavor.

I make the farfel kugel and  a carrot cake for dessert...we are not very strict.  My sister makes brisket and my other sister makes a turkey.  Chopped liver (which I do NOT eat anymore...livers don't hold the same meaning for me if you know what I mean), sweet potatoes, and lots of other things.  My older sister makes the chicken soup and matzoh balls and it is quite good.

It's the holiday we love the most...it's all about family and memories.

MMmmm  Carrot cake was Teddy's favorite. If you like Chopped Liver, excuse the expression, but I have a Mock Chopped Liver made with veggies and it tastes just like Chopped liver. I know what you mean, we are not as religious as we are Traditional. Love the traditions and so do my Grandkids. Lexy, my amazing Granddaughter  has brought her bestie for years who is not Jewish. I asked her if Mandy was coming and she said yes and I am asking Rachel and some of my Sorority Sisters at NAU. I said I am sorry honey but in my apartment now I only have room for 8 and we have 9 already. I felt bad but........

Send me the recipe for the Mock Liver please!!  Sounds like a great alternative.  I miss all of the stuff that my grandparents brought for the seder...smoked white fish, pickled herring, nova lox, chopped herring salad, stuffed dates.  Ah the memories it evokes.

VEGETARIAN PATE OR MOCK CHOPPED LIVER

1  Large can Le Suer small peas drained
3/4 cup ground walnuts
2 hard boiled eggs
3 medium onions chopped or frozen works ok too
1 TSP olive oil
2 TLB  Margarine

Saute chopped onion in margarine and olive oil until light brown. Blend walnuts in food processor with the drained peas and hard boiled eggs. You want it fairly smooth but looking like Chopped liver. Blend browned onion. Add salt to taste.Mix together. Make 24 hours in advance, refrigerate and serve with favorite crackers also can be frozen. Can be easily doubled for more people.

Want to really crack up??? Here we are talking Jewish soul food and for dinner I am making sauteed pork tenderloins!!!!

hahaha.  Love pork tenderloin.  My parents were Kosher growing up, but we did not keep kosher. But never had things like pork or milk with meat.  Now all bets are off!  Ham/pork whatever tastes good. smile

Randi, here is a funny one, My parents were reform. Dad's parents were Orthodox and when they came over from Russia ended up in Wausau Wis. They had the ONLY Mikvah (ritual ) bath in their house for hundreds of miles around. Well he decided to be reform when they got married.  Anyway, they loved bacon and ribs but would not eat ham or pork chops!! People are the funniest.

Wow, this post became the cooking channel all of a sudden!!! We're doing a seder 2nd night, going to friends the first night.  Yes, Bat Mitzvah on October 16th I believe. We've got the hotel blocked, DJ lined up, Michael's on East booked for the venue and food, and the wife is making the center pieces already!

Derin

Derin, many plans all set for some great events coming up! BTW, this should become the BRAVO Channel for people like you! Enjoy your Seder, easy on the Matzo!