Topic: Intro & Advice Needed
Posting this on behalf on my father (64 at the time) who was diangosed with CC in July last year after suffering from jaundice and severe itching which I'm sure you're all familiar with. Subsequent scans showned a tumour in the lower 1//4 of the bile duct and Whipple Procedure was recommended and conducted in late July last year.
Recovery from the surgery was difficult initially, however he now suffers from no ill effects or complications (diet has remained exactly the same).
Post surgery we learnt that the 6cm tumour hadn't spread to any other organs and was contained within the bile duct (also no lymph nodes showed any involvement with which we are fortunate). We were presented with the option of continuing without any treatment or running a course of chemo (which I'm fairly certain was Gemza). For more peace of mind that anything else we decided to proceed with the treatment.
The treatment proceeded well; however in the second last week of treatment he's CA19 markers had increased to around 70 and then the proceeding week up to 100 which prompted his oncologist to order an urgent CT Scan.
The subsequent scan was clear and we were told to run another set of bloods in 6 weeks, which we have just recently completed and again there has been an elevation in his CA19 markers (up to around 200 I believe). Advice moving forward from here has been that he appears to have microscopic cancer cells present and that we should sit back and wait until it presents itself before looking into further treatment (further tests and scans scheduled in July).
This doesn't really sit well with me, as I'd assume there could be something done in the meantime to try and negate what's happening... Surely sitting back and waiting can't be the best option?
Other than that Dad feels fine and doesn't have any issues at all.... all other blood results with the exception of his CA19 are perfect.
Personally, I'd like to get a second opinion on the best way of proceeding from here, if more for our own peace of mind than anything else.
Does anybody know if there are any dietary adjustments that could be made in order to potentially help?
We're based in Australia and being a fairly rare condition there doesn't seem to be too much information available or that many oncologists that would specialise in this area.