Topic: Surgery day is almost here!

The day we thought would never come is almost here. Lauren, my 27 year old daughter, will have part 1 of a 2 part resection on Tues. 3/26 at University of Michigan Hospital. We saw Dr. Sonnenday a couple of weeks ago and he might try a different surgical approach if he thinks it is possible once he looks around. Instead of doing the smaller surgery first, he would do the big surgery first where he would split the liver and leave both sides inside Lauren. They will tie off the right side so that it shrinks way down. After 7-10 days in the hospital, they will go back in and remove the right side. I don't really understand the reasoning of doing it that way, but Dr. S says that it is advantageous in that the 2nd surgery can be so soon rather than having to wait 6 weeks for the original way he was planning on doing it. This way cancer won't have time to spread since Lauren has not been on chemo for some time. Dr. S said this surgery has only been done about 50 times in the US, more in South America. If her surgeon wasn't Dr. Sonnenday, I would be very nervous. I am nervous just a little, but U of M and all the doctors couldn't be better. Lauren is not nervous for the surgery. She is just scared about the breathing tube, which hopefully will be out when she wakes up. Please pray that Lauren has a great outcome from the surgery and also pray for Dr. Sonnenday and his wonderful team. I will keep you all updated. We will be leaving for Michigan on Monday.

Love and hugs to all,
-Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Re: Surgery day is almost here!

Oh, Pam, PRAYERS, PRAYERS, PRAYERS! I am jumpin out of my skin with excitement and anticipation and my biggst wish for Lauren is that God come through the Surgeon's Hands! I just know we will be in the first announcement you make that all was successful. Sending you both a Mt. Everest of LOVE! Why the Mount? Because I know Lauren will master the surgery as if it was a mole hill!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Lots of prayers for Lauren and your family.  Please keep us posted.  I know she will do great.

Take care,

Susie

will be thinking of you, Pamela, Lauren and your family!
Sending you loads of positive thoughts your way.

Jeeyoung

Hi Pam,

You got it, tons and tons of positive thoughts are coming Laurens way from over here! And everything is crossed for sure as well!! I so hope that it all goes as planned and of course is most successful, and also that the breathing tube is out when Lauren wakes up. From what you have said about  the surgery that Dr S told you, that seems like a good plan to me. And you know that you have to keep us all updated on everything!

Hugs to you and Lauren,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Prayers and thoughts are with you and your daughter.  Natural to be nervous/scared. 

Gregg

Pam,  thinking of you and Lauren and praying for an excellent outcome.

My strongest wishes have been and will remain with you and Lauren.  I hope we very soon hear CANCER FREE from you!   She's a fighter obviously, that little old tube in her throat is nothing compared to what she's already beat down!  Smile your little girl is going to do great!

Pam,

I'm so excited for Lauren to have this surgery and come through with flying colors!!!  I will be thinking of you and Lauren on Tuesday.  You will be in my prayers along with the surgeon doing the surgery.  How long will the surgery take?

I'll be waiting to hear the GOOD news as soon as you can get on the computer and let us know!!!

Peace and health to Lauren!

Mary

Hi pam,

I have been thinking about you and Lauren and that her surgery must be very soon.  I am rooting for her and have everything crossed:-)

Clare

Clare

In the stars now . . . .

Hi Pam, I will be thinking of you and praying for you all on tuesday. Waiting is so hard, but you are not alone, all of us will be gathered around in spirit that day. Lauren will do great, she is young and strong and in good hands. xox Holly

You know my prayers are with Lauren and you and the entire family and friends!  Her surgery is during the Jewish Passover and I just know that is a sign that Lauren will be delivered to the promised land of health!!

Lots of hugs,
-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Pam,

Sending tons of positive thoughts and best wishes your way. Thinking of you and Lauren.

Hugs,
Eli

Pam...Sending positive energy and lots and lots of prayers for Laurens surgery to be a success..I know it will be..if it helps in my case I had 2 resections and never woke up with the breathing tube in my throat..they don't even insert anything until your asleep. Can not wait for your good news...
Nancy

Pam, sending a ton of positive thoughts your way.  Lauren sounds so brave and wonderful, all the best wishes for a successful surgery!

Julie

Pam,
Praying for all of you. As a Mother this has to be tough to watch Lauren have surgery but I have faith that this will all turn out good and we can get on with planning a wedding.
Love ya
Lisa

This Information Is Not Intended Nor Implied To Be A Substitute For Professional Medical Advice. You Should Always Seek The Advice Of Your Physician Or Other Qualified Health Care Provider

I will be praying for your family and the doctors. I know Lauren will do great!

Suzy

Each and every one of you are so dear to me. Thank you for the outpouring of well wishes and love. We feel so blessed to be given this opportunity, but I can't help feeling so bad for all of you that have lost loved ones, suffered with recurrances, or are not able to have surgery. I hope and pray every day for a cure for CC. I promise I will keep you all updated.

Grateful to know all of you,
-Pam

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

I can't wait to hear the good news. I have a friend who says don't ask, thank. So I've been thanking God all week for Lauren's successful surgery!!!

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Thank you, Kris.

Will be praying for a successful outcome for Lauren on her surgery and for guidance to the surgery team. I will keep all of you in positive thoughts!

Cathy

Gosh, Pam I wantd to address the breathing tube and totally forgot. IF you mean a ventilator they keep you pretty groggy the first couple of days so you are sleeping. Teddy had the ventilator and just slept and when they pulled it out they it so fast he said he really didn't feel it. I had the nasal tube and it was fine. I even ate with it. Again when they pulled it out it was a big nothing no brainer. I did ask for  a bottle of Chloraseptic Spray as it kept my throat pretty numb. Its pretty much up to the way each Doctor thinks about it. I had the tube for 4 days, reason being they didn't want me to get nauseous. Honestly the nasal  tube is not bad at all, and sounds worse than it is. Wow! AND when they put it in you are already sleeping! I am so excited for You and Lauren.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Dearest Pam and Lauren

I am SO praying for a great result!!!

Lots of love, hugs and positive thoughts.

Julia xx

"Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician."

Praying (and praying, and praying) for fantastic news after the surgery!  Keep us posted!

Jen

Pam, thinking of Lauren and your family.  Lauren will do great!  She is young, strong, and ready for this!  We will be praying for Lauren tomorrow.