Topic: Hives and welts

I keep getting hives and welts. We are narrowing down possible food allergies. Has anyone else had any experience with hives ?
Just curious if they are more common with CC patients.
Thanks,
Lisa

This Information Is Not Intended Nor Implied To Be A Substitute For Professional Medical Advice. You Should Always Seek The Advice Of Your Physician Or Other Qualified Health Care Provider

Re: Hives and welts

Hi,
Are you on any chemotherapy or targeted agents? Or any medications including over the counter remedies ?
God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

Hi Lisa,
Sorry I'm not much help but want to wish you luck in getting to the bottom of the hives. My daughter developed a strawberry allergy about age 13. My sister developed shellfish allergy in her teens. I know Pam's daughter Lauren had a bad run to a chemo agent but I didn't think you were taking any lately.
This is just a stN in ghe dark but Have you changed laundry detergent or used bleach without rinsing well? Even regular laundry det can be irritating. New low water machines don't always rinse well so I use the extra rinse cycle.  Also, many in my profession develop latex allergy but teaser things csuse more of a contact dermatitis , not hives. Take Care!
Willow

Willow

Hi Lisa,

Lauren gets hives from medical tape, chlorhexadene, tegaderm, amoxicillin, keflex and she even got them from oxaliplatin. Thanks for remembering that, Willow!! I don't know if chemo or cancer made her more susceptible to hives, but she did get hives as a child from red dye and she always swells up a lot from any bug bite. Whe she has her surgery, they already ordered an antibiotic to give her during surgery because she has so many weird allergies. I know you have allergies to dogs. Have you been around any or maybe not over the hives you had since last being around a dog. Sometimes they keep popping back up even when you think they should be gone. Have you eaten any seafood lately? I know many are allergic to shellfish. I would write down everything you eat and try to determine if any food is causing them. Hope you find the culprit!

Love you,
-Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

5 (edited by marions Tue, 12 Mar 2013 18:45:44)

Lisa...I found this.  Not sure if it is help to you, but thought to post it anyway.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hives- … ION=causes

Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Hi,

Radiation treatment can also be a reason to cause  acute or delayed type of  hives, angioedema and welts  hypersensitive reaction.
God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

Thank you all for your information. I am not currently on chemo. I had steriotactic radiation in January. The only medications I take is
Ativan as needed and Prilosec. I am allergic to pets. Today I am covered from head to toe in large welts and hives that have connected together. I am miserable. I am keeping a food diary and some foods that may be causing them could be chocolate, tomatoes, and dairy. I started my third round of steroids today...hopefully this will help till I can get into an allergist.
Lisa

This Information Is Not Intended Nor Implied To Be A Substitute For Professional Medical Advice. You Should Always Seek The Advice Of Your Physician Or Other Qualified Health Care Provider

Lisa....oh my, how strange.  Is it itchy also?
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

9 (edited by PCL1029 Wed, 13 Mar 2013 22:08:12)

Hi,
The medical term for radiation treatment hypersensitative skin reaction  is called " radiation recall dermatitis " RRD in short.
If the radiation involved an IV chemotherapy,ie: 5 FU then the RRD will appear early ( minutes to 14 days) and usually last for a couple of weeks. But if the chemo sensitized agent is by mouth ie: capecitabine , then will have a longer lag period( a few days to two months) and may last for months---uptodate.com
BTW RRD may also related to the radiation dose patient received enough to trigger the RRD to occur.
Another reaction is called " radiation enhancement" by which the hypersensitity SIDE EFFECTS resembles RRD. It can be localized or extend beyond the irradiated field.
God bless.

Percy and Marion,
Thank you both so much. I see an allergist on Monday and I have scans on Tuesday to see if radiation worked on current liver tumor....I also see oncologist, radiologist and liver surgeon. I think I should have my own wing at The Cleveland Clinic......they are a wonderful medical facility. Well keep you posted.
Hugs,
Lisa

The allergist did some skin testing but it just showed that I have a high hystemine level. My oncologist said that since I had antihistamines and steroids in me the reading would not be accurate. The allergist prescribed Zyrtec and Pepcid, which have done nothing. So they called in doxypin and hydroxyzine. The last two drugs make the hives tolerable but I am still covered in hives and welts. I am so frustrated !
Percy, I read up on your thoughts and I think you are onto to something...but what to do.
Itchy in Ohio
Lisa

Lisa I am so sorry you are still suffering with the welts. Perhaps if the new Meds are helping a little they can lead to yet a better Med. I had to chuckle when you wrote that at least you should have a wing of the Cleveland Clinic. I was thinking Frequent Flyer Miles would be nice too! I hope you wake up one day and the welts are just gone!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Hi,
I know you was on prednisone  for  a while. are you still on it? otherwise you can ask your doctor to prescribe it for you for short term use ; it may decrease your ability to fight for infection if you take prednisone for too long.
Increase dosage or add or change to another antihistamine medication by your doctor is another mean to help the situation. please ask your doctor for the above suggestion before changing meds and dosage especially most of the first generation antihistamine medications like Benadryl,Vistaril,cyproheptadine can cause drowsiness but can be more effective in providing relief for you. Second  generation antihistamines like Zyrtec ,Allegra and Claritin can be used in daytime .H2 blockers like Pepcid , Zantac and Tagamet works too.
Go to Walgreens or CVS and ask the pharmacist to get you "Aveeno Oatmeal bath" product suggestion for helping your itching is another suggestion.
God bless.

Sorry to hear of the itchy hives and welts, Lisa! Percy does have some great suggestions. Hang in there and have a blessed Easter.
Willow

Willow

Update on my hives. They are still active and itchy. I have been on every combination of antihistamines possible, Zyrtec, Claritin, Allegra,Benedryl, doxypin with no relief. If I am not better by tomorrow I will start on steroids again which I hate. I have had 4 medral doses of prednisone in 8 weeks and have gained 12 pounds. I've tried oatmeal baths, baking soda for itching, etc.....the itching is making me crazy!   Thank you for all your suggestions..keep them coming.
Hugs
Lisa

wait, doesn't Gavin have some stuff that he recommends to people who have itching? I'll try and do a search to find it.

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Found it!  You may have already tried it or it may not apply (no pun intended smile ) but it's called Sarna.

Hope the itching gets better, I remember having itching and how it was driving me insane.  I sat with ice packs on me all night long so I could get some sleep.  during the day it didn't seem to be as much of a problem.

Good luck!
-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Dear Lisa, It was Teddy who first tried Sarna on here (They don't have Sarna in Europe). You can get it at CVS or Walgreens OTC but read up about it first as it is very strong. Like Randi, T also did the ice pack thing and cool showers. I feel so bad for you , don't know what else to recommend. I have been on Prednisone for 1 1/2 years now and hope you don't have to do that either. One more suggestion....talk to your Pharmacist as he is the one who told us about Sarna and later Brioshe which stopped Teddy's hiccups.  As usual best of luck!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Lisa:
I wasn't thinking when I was talking about the trial I am on but I believe the Cleveland Clinic is one of the 3 hospitals involved. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.....
Sorry you have yet something else to worry about, and I hope the allergist can help.
Lots of love and prayers you get great results Tuesday!

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Hang in there Lisa!!!

Willow

Thank you for the suggestions ......will be trying all that are applicable...I have the steroid prescription but don't want to take it again.....I really want to figure out what the cause is........
Lisa

Lisa,
I suffer the same hives.  I have since I was diagnosed with cancer. 

At first it was the excessive billirueben, in my bloodstream.   After the whipple, they would come on at such random times, that I too was ask if I changed laundry detergent, shampoo, ect ect.

We are now five years later, almost. 

I do know that I can not eat anything with red flavoring or coloring. 

Also, I stopped taking all my meds, then added them back in one at a time. 
It was none of those. 

Anyways, after five years, I have diagnosed myself.  Bread and butter. 

I don't know yet if I have developed a wheat allergy, ceilic, or gluton, or even just the yeast in the bread.  I just know that I stopped eating bread, and the hives are gone.

The reason I don't think its a wheat allergy, I can eat waffles, pizza crust, pie crust, and no breakout.    Not to mention,  both my Grandparents were wheat farmers and I have been around it my entire life. 

I have my next Dr. apt the first part of next week and will see what he suggests in the form of testing.

I hope this gives you hope and an idea or two on how to figure out what is causing yours.  I wish you the best.

Jill,
Thank you for your ideas. I have been reading about allergies to salicylic acid which could be a trigger for me since I love grapefruits, tomatoes, coffee and tons of fresh veggies and fruits which are all high in salicylic acid. I also read it can be an autoimmune disorder. I love my bread and pasta so I should probably try eliminating the wheat and see what happens....I'm just so miserable and itchy. Marion and Percy have given me ideas as well. I know hives wont kill me but they sure are annoying.
Lisa

Thinking of you today, Lisa, and what an ordeal the hives and itching are for you. I pray they stop soon. It could well be a new (to you) food allergy. When my youngest had severe food issues they put him on lamb and white rice for three weeks and then slowly, one week at a time, added back foods. He turned out to have a problem with milk protein. Lamb and white rice are supposed to be the least offensive foods you can eat, allergy-wise. (although lamb chops are not cheap!) Keep us posted, I worry about you. xo

Hi Lisa,

Sorry you're still suffering with hives!!!  I feel so bad for you.  I sent you an email the other day but haven't heard back from you.  Would love to talk when you get a chance or if you're feeling really uncomfortable because of the hives, just reply to my email.

Thinking of you and praying you will find some relief.  You've been dealing with this far too long!!!

Mary