Topic: Is delaying chemo the right approach?
Now that it has been confirmed my wife has ICC, I find myself in a dilemma. I could use your advice that I am approaching this the correct way.
How quickly do we start chemo?
We had our official Oncologist meeting 2 days ago where he confirmed the initial diagnosis of ICC. However, we knew this was the initial diagnosis a week ago. As soon as we had the initial diagnosis, I - with a lot of help from some incredible people - began the task of getting appointments at some well known, well respected cancer centers for consult visits. I also researched and, again with the help of others, found some potential trials.
Everything I've been told and most of what I've read encouraged getting second opinions. And also to delay the start of treatment until you are sure of the best plan. I am happy to say, I've made great progress (getting all the paperwork done, all materials faxed or mailed, talking to doctors, nurses, aides) and we now have three scheduled visits over the next 8 days.
My dilemma is our local Oncologist put fear into the both of us by saying emphatically "you really need to get started on chemo". My wife is feeling the urge to start tomorrow. Her situation is several masses in the liver and affected lymph nodes. I want to make sure the consults confirm the best treatment plan before beginning. But I don't have the cancer. It's much easier for me to take that approach.
Thanks for your comments.