Topic: SIR spheres vs. chemotherapy

My dad (intrahepatic cc) just told us that he did not want to do any more chemo.  Whether it's coincidence or not, the last session was very difficult on him.  That being said, he seemed to tolerate traditional radiation pretty well.

I was hoping to get some experiences from those who have tried the SIR spheres therapy and to find out what the likely/possible side effects are.

Thanks.

Re: SIR spheres vs. chemotherapy

Richard.. I have not had SIR Spheres but I did have 3-D conformal external radiation to the tumor of my liver approximately one year ago.  My oncologist coordinated with a Radiologist/oncoloigist and it was determined he could encompass the entire tumor left lobe as my right lobe was resected in 99.  I have had no growth or pain of the liver since. I have had no side effects other than a little tiredness during treatment one time a day for 15 days.  treatment time about 5 minutes each.   The tumor was 6.4 x 6.8 CMs.  It is now 6.1x6.2 CMs. I think it killed the tumor myself. I had mets to the spinal area and about 6 months ago had same procedure. Again no problems and 2CM shrunk and pain went away.  I do have mets to other locations and intend to press Doc for more Radiation as it seems that where ever I get radiation it kills the cancerous hot spots I call them.  Your prescreen/scanned to get exact calculations of the beam and width and angles and marked on the body.  I'm no Doc but radiation does great for me so far.  But I'm sure the location of tumor can make a difference.  Wish you the best. 
God Bless,
Jeff G.

Take it to the Limit,One More Time! (Eagles)

My wife had two rounds of Therasphere in four months and had essentially no side effects and very good results.

Hi Bill .... Glad to hear your wife is having good results with Therasphere.  I haven't had to go that route yet;  but have had other type radiation without side effects and pretty good resuls as well...knock on wood!
God Bless,
Jeff G.

Jeff/Bill,

Thanks for the info.  I hope that my dad's liver functions get better enough to at least have a chance to explore these options.

BTW, do either of you know of radiation oncologists in southern California that practice in SIR spheres or 3D conformal radiation.  I was very surprised to hear that UCLA does not practice SIR spheres.

Richard

6 (edited by marions Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:25:14)

Fatherson,
if you have time to do so, check the McCrea blog, as they had explored this option, also. I am not sure as to whether they had decided on a location for the treatment but, they did commute to L.A. for their medical needs.
Marions

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

I believe another board member (Nicole) had a family member who received the spheres in CA.  You can look up her posts.

Marions - Thanks again.  I have seen the McCrea blog before.  I actually go read it sometimes when I'm really down.  If I recall, they were looking into a doctor in San Diego that does the treatment.  We're in LA, which is not too far, but were hoping to find someone local.

Bill - Thanks for the head's up.  I'll do a search for Nicole and spheres.

- Richard

Well chemotherapy yesterday after almost 4 four months off.  Day two as usual hiccups and a little more pain in the liver and lungs.  That tell me something is working.  In my opinion anyway.  Two more days I start filgrastim injections and antibiotics to keep my white cells from depleting (Nuethropenia). About the same time my hair should start falling out and the shiny head shaving ceremony again.   Otherwise doing Hunky Dory!
Jeff G.

So Jeff,
Did your wife get those pictures done while you still had hair? Good luck on this new-improved regimen. I can only imagine the number of times your name is mentioned when we all say our prayers. You are such an inspiration. After the shaving ceremony, why not through your hair outside so that the little birds can warm their nests with it? It is about as evironmentally friendly as you can get!

Kris

Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

36 year old patient with buckets of hope

11 (edited by JeffG Wed, 05 Dec 2007 12:33:22)

Kris , That's a great Idea. I'll sprinkler near the the little birdie house I make this summer.  I suppose if I put some food out I might get some company don't ya think?  You can say it Daa! Ha   I'll have to go get some today.  I built one in N. Dakota and printed on it Nesty Hotel and Vancy sign.  Have nesters in three days. Of course I made a nice balcony for them to eat and drink on.  I guess I just forgot.  Chemo Brain excuse. I been using it a lot lately Ha! They just laugh and say it's more old age than any thing; the gall I tell ya!
Jeff G.
     P.S. Yes she got the pictures Sunday.  She call and asked if anyoone had cancelled.  They said no and I could hear her from the next room saying or I should say begging but he is on chemo and his hair is starting to fall out Ha! I just had to laugh.  They said come in at Noon and we'll fit you in between lunch breaks Ha! I just Don't know, How ya gonna act?   Like a Fool !

Jeff,
In support of Kris's fine example how about a shiny RED head.  Would be in keeping with the season, you could impersonate a tree ornament.

courage!  You remain and inspiration.

-Peter

Wouldn't it be funny if, in honor of Jeff and Kris, the birds who built a nest out of Jeff's hair were red-headed woodpeckers? Just a thought!
Joyce

My wife had an unresectable Klatskin's tumor derstroyed with SIR spheres by Dr. Andrew Kennedy on July 25, 2007. The procedure last 2 hours, was done with local anesthesiua as an outpatient. Unbelieveable that no one told us about this procedure at Sloan Kettering!? I highly recommend it.

Wayne parsons
808-753-0290

My husband and I are really interested in finding out whether you can have sir-spheres if you have already had external beam radiation to the liver and also whether lung metastases preclude treatment. Does any one have any ideas on this?
     We would be very grateful for any advice on this!
                          Pauline

16 (edited by JeffG Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:07:16)

Pauline... I had external beam to the liver with mets to both lungs.  It had to be approve as pallative treatment due to uncontrolled pain.  Only other thing my Oncologist won't do chemo and radiation at the same time as it creates to much havoc to the immune system.  I would give Wayne, above your post a call and ask for doctor Kennedy's contact information.  They just may have an answer for you.  I just don't recall it ever being mentioned about SIR-Spheres either way if had lung mets.  I would think If I had 3D-IMRT with lung mets why not SIR-Spheres.
God Bless,
Jeff G.

Yes, you can have SIR spheres after external beam radiation and with mets to the lungs. But you must pass an evaluation to make sure the the microspheres will be contained in the tumor. Email me privately for contact info to the best doctor for this.

Thank you Jeff and Wayne for your responses. We are going to try for the sir-spheres as it sounds like a really good option for cc patients. We first heard about it on this site and about the work of Dr Kennedy but weren't sure that we could get it here in the UK. I was even trying to persuade my husband, Anthony, to go over to the States but he didn't feel like such a long journey. We now have our oncologist looking into the possibility of providing it for hime here, depending on the lung situation.They haven't done it before for cc but have for other liver tumours. Fingers crossed! I will let you know when we get the decision.   Thanks again. Pauline

Pauline ... your quite welcome and hope all works out to your advantage.  Also, Wayne thanks a whole bunch for popping in to clarify. How is your wife doing Wayne holding her own I hope.
Jeff G.