Topic: Update on Lauren

SENSITIVE: Please don't read this if things are too upsetting to you. For those who don't wish to read this, I will just say Lauren is in the SICU and relativly stable. For those who wish to know more, I have included some details. Just scroll down. Thank you for your concern.

I am in the SICU waiting room. I hope this will be coherent. So much has happened that it seems so unreal. As you know, Lauren had her surgery on Wed. I slept in the room with her and the docs became very concerned about some of her liver functions. They decided at 4:00am on Friday to go back to surgery  and she was in surgery for another eight hours where they took a vein from her leg and tried to rebuild her portal or hepatic vein. Sorry I can't remember which one, but I think it was hepatic. It was not functioning properly. That was successful and she was taken back to the SICU. In the early evening around 5:30, her blood pressure crashed and they felt she was bleeding inside. They prepared a sterile field right in her room and opened her up right there. If everything would not have gone as perfectly as it did, she would have been gone. There were about 30 doctors and nurses all working together. We all sat at the nurse's station right outside the room and watched in part awe and part horror. They were paging all over the hospital for blood, different medical equipment, crash cart, and everyone came running and did their part. You could not possibly make a movie that was this dramatic. Luckily, Dr. Sonnenday was there to operate. I have a charm I wear every day with Lauren's pic on the front and a saying on the back that says "Lauren Patrice- Forever in my heart." Along with it I wear a St. Peregrine medal (Patron Saint for cancer). I squeezed those two together and prayed so hard for a miracle. God heard my prayer because I was thinking and praying for him to give me a sign that he heard and at that moment I heard laughter which I didn't think was appropriate. My husband, Mark, leaned over and said, "Sometimes laughter is a good thing when people are stressed." They had fixed the bleed from the artery and the mood changed. It was such a relief. She is by no means out of the woods, but is a little more stable today. She is on dialysis and a ventilator. She is also still open at the abdomen where it is packed and dressed in case any other complications arise, but if she improves, could go back to the OR tomorrow or Mon. to be closed. I cannot stress to you how much these doctors and nurses did to save Lauren's life. I am forever grateful to them. I better go now because I am rambling, but I felt so bad as to not update you, my wonderful friends. Thank you for the prayers. Lauren is fighing with all her might. Love to all.

-Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Re: Update on Lauren

Pam....what an incredible person you are.  At a time like this, you make sure to inform us.
My thoughts and being is with our Lauren.  May this be the only major post-op problem she experienced and may all others, if any, be addressed as efficiently as described by you.
Hugs and more hugs,
Mario

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Pam,

Thank you for taking the time to update us.  I am catholic and I say the rosary every night and every morning.  I just want you to know last night I said the rosary for Lauren and every time I woke up during the night I thought of her and sent a short prayer to God asking for his blessings for Lauren.  I will continue to keep all of you in my prayers.  Lauren sounds like a fighter so I know she will continue to do so, especially with you and family by her side.

Take care of yourself.  I can't even imagine how you are dealing with such an emotional roller coaster ride.  Stay strong!

Peace, Love & Hugs,
Mary

Pam, you are an amazing and awesome Mother and person! I like to think I am strong but not so sure I could handle what you have just been through. Just know I am with you in spirit and sending more prayers and tons of love.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

I am thinking of you all today, and believing, KNOWING that Lauren is a fighter. 
You are all in my prayers.

-Karen

Pam,

I have been thinking of and praying for Lauren.  I just have this gut feeling that things will be ok.  I am so thankful for your update and that you had some good news to report.  I know things are still precarious and I will continue to think of Lauren and send positive thoughts and prayers.

Sending ((((hugs))))
-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Pam,

I'm sure that was so scary for you.  Lots of prayers for Lauren and your family.  Hang in there.

Susie

Pam you are an amazing woman, as is your daughter Lauren.  Hang in there. Xx

Clare

In the stars now . . . .

Love, love, love, love, love winging its way to you xxx

"Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician."

Pam,
Wow! I know you and your family have been through the ringer over the last few days.  Stay strong.  Lauren's got youth on her side and a heck of a lot to live for. I'm sure she's fighting as hard as she can and sounds like she has an awesome medical team.  I continue to pray for you all.
Dianne

For those that don't know and like to follow the blogs, here is the link
http://www.cholangiocarcinoma.org/punbb … .php?id=31

I thought to place Lauren/Pam's blog here (for quicker and easier access) and to possibly eliminate Pam from having to write on both sites. 

http://www.loveandhopeforlauren.blogspot.com/

You are in our minds and our souls, dear Lauren.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Hi, Pam and Lauren,

I prayed but I will try harder tonight.
May His Grace be with you and your family no matter where you are.

God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

Stay strong mom but take care of yourself too. I know the effects of this kind of stress, take care. You 2 have a wedding to plan!
When I prayed last night, I prayed aloud...think I'll do the same tonight.

Lanny

I'm praying for your baby and you. Stay strong!

I've been praying hard for Lauren to get thru this. I posted on her fb page that last night as I prayed, I pictured Lauren while I prayed for her and a white glow surrounded her. I believe that God told me she will be okay. She has been put in his white light!!

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Pamela,

I will continue to pray for Lauren in this tough time
All my thoughts,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about Lauren during what must be the most stressful and worrying time ever for you. Thank you so much. And of course I will continue to keep you both in my thoughts throughout.

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Pam, sending love and prayers for all of you. Lauren is one tough cookie and so are you. Thank  you for keeping us updated.
Luv you so much
Lisa

This Information Is Not Intended Nor Implied To Be A Substitute For Professional Medical Advice. You Should Always Seek The Advice Of Your Physician Or Other Qualified Health Care Provider

Pam, Dear Pam, you must have changed your name to EXHAUSTED! Just want to say that YES, Lauren hears you all. After Teddy's 1st Whipple ONC Surgeon had him on a Ventilator and it is very hard to sit there all day and watch that even though they are sedated. Teddy used to wink at me as a sign that what ever the situation at the time, the wink meant all is OK. I got up to leave the room and I kissed his forehead and don't ya just know it. I got a wink!!! SO keep talking to her, she hears you. Love you all so much. Stay Strong! Best wishes for tomorrow and thanks for doing the Blog, I know you are physically and mentally spent!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Pam,

I read your blog and just wanted to say I am thinking of Lauren and you all the time and continuing to pray for you.  It is such a difficult time and you are so strong.  Moms can be amazing and find strength for their children when they think they have no more.  Please take care of yourself.

I'm sure Lauren is hearing the family all around her and taking comfort in that.  Good luck today - I will pray the surgery to close her up will be uneventful.

All my Love to you,
Mary

Pam,

Sitting here at my lab with tears in my eyes for all you and your family are going through.  Please know I am praying for Lauren and her medical team.  I don't think you could have a more caring medical team.  Please take care of yourself and try and get some rest and try to eat well. Lauren will need you and your strength when she gets past this medical intervention.

Sending hugs and tons of prayers for you and your baby girl. 

Hugs!
Pam

My Mom lost her one year battle with CC on April 3, 2009.

"A prognosis is simply an audit of how truly precious each day is.  Live each day to the maximum, celebrate what was, and what is - Don't spend your life looking forward to what will or might be." .... words of wisdom from my beloved son on hearing of his grandmother's CC prognosis.

All of your thoughtfulness and love brings me to tears. What would I do without all of you. They are taking Lauren to the OR at around 11 this morning to make sure everything is ok and close her up. Hopefully, things will get better after that.

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Pam....you and your family have been constantly in my mind these last few days.I so wish you all well      Janet xx

Pam -
I think of you and Lauren constantly!  I am praying for your daughters perfect recovery. 
Carrie

Pam-I can hardly read your post because it way to dejavue.
I am proof there is HOPE and MIRACLES, like you I carried my St. Peregrine medal and holy card through all this!!
Pam you are an amazing mom and family and you surround Lauren with love and Hope and have one of the most gifted surgeons so it will be a positive outcome.
Keep talking to Lauren because she does hear you!!
Lots of prayers, love, hugs and HOPE-Cathy