Topic: very light coloured stools

Hello all, mum had a bile duct stent put in end of last month. It seemed to have cleated up tge jaundice. Now her stools for the past 3 days have bee been v light coloured. Should we be letting the gp know? She has also had a dull ache on her lower right side around her back for a while but has only now told us about this.

Re: very light coloured stools

Absolutely, moonpie, please contact the physician.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

I will give the gp a call first thing tomorrow. Dad keeps trying to make excuses to reassure us but i have a horrible feeling the stent may not be working as mums now said shes had this for more than 5 days and doesnt feel right.

Definitely needs to be reported Moonpie.  Let us know how your mum is when you can.

Clare

In the stars now . . . .

Moonpie, Please call the ONC immediately, light stools needs to be looked at. Especially with pain. You or the ONC need to explain to her that this Cancer is very strange and you need to know when something, anything is different. Best of luck.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

I agree, you should definitely call your doc immediately.  Also, try to notice the color of her urine.  For me, dark urine accompanied the light stool and meant I had a bile duct blockage.

Best of luck.
-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Yep, Randi, exactly what happened to T. I told him he needed to tell me colors of urine too.  OMG! Don't you love the potty talk. Same thing when I go to the GI for the UC...so much potty talk. I am starting to give things names like Diarrhea is now Oatmeal, formation is now green beans if I am lucky normal, which is not to often. The feeling I better get there fast is URGENCY. I just love that word. Can't you see me if I should get a date?  The Loo is closed for tonight. Goodnight!

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

8 (edited by hercules Thu, 20 Jun 2013 20:04:32)

Light colored stool is an early sign of bilary obstruction. A very lean diet with all fruit and vegetables and rice will give the same outcome so to speak.This has been my observation ...One time my stools were light tan for a week or more I panicked, called my oncologist, set up a scan right away and all was fine. stools are white after a scan, if you are paying attention, and this whole life of having cc hanging over your head makes you nervous about every little thing. good luck moonpie, Pat

Moonpie,

Yes this does need to be reported first thing in the morning and get your mum seen by the gp today. Also, you need to speak with your mum and tell her that she needs to tell you of things that may be happening to her much quicker than 5 days. But saying that, I have a mum that is as stubborn as a mule when it comes to talking about things medical and I know that things like that can be frustrating to say the least. But the quicker that she tells you of things then the quicker that you will be able to help her. Pains issues of any type definitely need to be addressed as quickly as possible as well. Let us know how you get on.

My best to you and your mum,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

hello thanks for the advice, mum spoke to the gp on the phone, don't think she told her the truth about how long shes had this, she said her urine is clear, she told her about the pain,

the dr said that it is just residual effects? Im a bit worried as why did her stools return a normal colour shortly after her stent and why are they back this colour if it was residual effects? my dad is just relieved and keeps reassuring her, but I know that it really needs to be checked out further-things just don't seem to add up.

I will keep a close eye on her and her urine and tell her to ring again if no improvement

Lainy, glad you are bringing a bit of toilet humour, I keep telling mum her homework is to learn the Bristol stool chart by heart and then she can just shout a number to me, maybe I should get a dulux paint colour chart and pass it to her and get her to mark it to save all the talk.

From now on, you can tell people you really know your s*** !

Hi Moonpie,

You might know but if not, the reason our poo is the brown colour it is is because of bile being excreted into our intestines.  Take the bile away and the stools become the light colour that you mention.  There are other things that affect the colour of poo but with your mums history, I wouldn't be ignoring it either.

Clare

In the stars now . . . .

Pat and Moonpie, not that this is not serious but it does me good to wake up and laugh. You 2 are too funny! I do think it a good idea to perhaps google a color chart and explain to Mom. I do have a feeling she knows perfectly well but feels if she ignores these things she considers small, they will go away. Please let us know what the ONC says.

I know this is pretty important topic.. but all of you are making me laugh right now..  and I really needed it.

Thank you.

Jeeyoung

Jeeyoung, I swear to you no Potty talk at dinnertime!!! It would make my Hazel eyes turn brown!

If your stools are marbled with dark and tan have your horoscope checked.

Hahaha its good that it has made people smile-it certainly has helped me see the funny side. My mum has promised to keep me in the know about her as we have now named it-her undercarraige activity!!!!
O a more serious note-i am travelling down south for work and so wont be staying with mum and dad for a bit. I will be ringing the oncologist tomorrow to let him know about the recent bowel issues and pain and also to make sure the referral to the royal liverpool for tjose further tests is underway.
Keep up the positive good work everyone, much love to you all xx

Sorry i mean il be ringing him on monday-i will allow the oncologist some peace on gods dayof rest!!

Glad to hear you will be phoning the onc on Monday Moonpie to let them know about the bowel and pain issues for your mum. Let us know what they say and also about chasing up the referral. Has your mum chosen to be referred to Liverpool instead of Christies then?

How have things been this weekend with regards to the undercarriage activity!

My best to you and your mum,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Its fun to laugh Moonpie but it is very important to listen to our bodies when  we are afflicted with any digestive disease and the end result of digestion is a key indicator when things are right or wrong.Don't stop looking, Pat

hello all,

just a quick question if anyone knows, regarding my mums light coloured stools etc, she went to the drs early in the week and they did a blood test, dad said that the dr has prescribed her some sort of medication in a powder form to take with water to help with the light coloured stools, he said something about it being to help mum digest/process the fats? im not sure what this is, he was very vague about it and kept saying everything came back ok, they've just given her a bit of medication. I need to gently ask mum how the stools are and make sure that the gp is still keeping an eye on her. he said that the drs going to be repeating blood tests soon.

sorry, dad just said It was some powder, the one she had with water was her laxido that she has stopped taking for quite a bit after having diaorhea and all the light coloured stools

Hi Moonpie,

Can your Dad give you the name on the packet?

Clare

In the stars now . . . .

I will ask him tomorrow as now that I am away from home, I want to be kept in the loop about things and check things out as much as possible.