Topic: Shrinkage

We just got the results of my wife's first CT scan after 3 rounds of gem/cis (three weeks on / one week off).

All tumors showed 20% shrinkage.

Great news!

Jason

Re: Shrinkage

Outstanding news. Hope you continue to have good progress.

Carl

that's great Jason!
my husband also had shrinkage and that is a wonderful word!!!

best
Dorien

Jason, excellent! Shrinkage is music to our ears! You both must be over the moon!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Brilliant news Jason!! Thanks for sharing that with us all, we never get tired of hearing about shrinkage!!! Fingers crossed for the rest of your wife's chemo!

Best wishes to you both,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Fabulous news :-)

Clare

In the stars now . . . .

7 (edited by PCL1029 Sat, 15 Jun 2013 18:45:42)

Hi,
That is a very good news indeed. A 20% partial response to the regimen.
So what will be your next planning ?continue the current regimen until it no longer works;than change to other systemic regimen?; or I noticed you are interest in radioembolization as you  had mentioned before,since you get treatment with Stanford,they may recommend it to you sometime in the future when it is appropriate to do so.but before you say yes, please know that  radiation Tx may preclude the patient for the next available CLINICAL trials or Tx if you decide to go that route in the future.( check out the clinical trials list on this board for the exclusion of trial in each of the trial) ; I know the glass bead type of radioembo is still not approval by the FDA but the resins type does. Ask lot of questions before say yes to radioembo. Base on what I can understand it, the overall result is average for our members who have radioembo done. I really think that they need more studies to rule out the residual radiation effects on the sensitive organ like LIVER. Did Dr.
kato reply to you? And what did you think of him?  Again, do research on the outcome of the patients that He treated to get an idea of whether you can accept such level of risk with Dr. Kato,because most of his patients were at the very advanced stage of the disease and therefore the outcomes of his treated patients should be less optimistic .
God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

Hi Percy,

From your comments, I think we are thinking along similar lines.  Anyway, let me try and answer your questions.

Q - What is the current plan?

A - The liver board at Stanford reviewed the scans and suggested we do another 3 cycles of gem/cis.  We are going to do this.  However, my thinking is that a linear approach to therapy (do one therapy until it fails, then try another) is not ideal.  There are so many therapies out there that could be active against the cancer, that I think it makes sense to try as many as possible.  Our plan is to add other therapies to the mix over the next 9 weeks.  We have a consult set up with a dr. in the immunotherapy group at stanford.  Hopefully that will identify a therapy that can be added with minimal toxicity.

Q - What about Radioembolization?

A - This is still a strong possibility for the future.  Stanford specializes in this therapy, and the data does suggest it helps.  However, I share your concern that the residual effects of the radiation are poorly understood.  One of my concerns here is that I think they want to do the therapy to both lobes at once.  My research suggests this is dangerous and not any more effective.  They are going to have to explain that better before we do radioembolization.

Q - Heard back from Dr. Kato?

A - We sent the new scan to Dr. Kato to update his files.  He has not reviewed our case yet.  Given the timing of the scan, we thought it would be better to have him look at the latest scan before the consult.  I talked with his assistant Sarah, and I think we should hear from Dr. Kato in the next week or so.

I am concerned that some forum members have had bad outcomes from Dr. Kato.  However, I agree with you that given Dr. Kato is accepting cases that are so poor that they are rejected by other surgeons, a much poorer outcome profile is expected.

Is there any more concrete data on patient experiences with Dr Kato?

Anyway, thanks as always for the support and helpful comments.

Jason

Wonderful news! So happy for you!

Jason.....absolutely, totally, fantastic news.  Congratulations. 
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Jason,
Very glad to hear your wife is responding to the gem Cis chemo.thats great! My sister (also tx atStanford) started w that, had radioembo and is now on Xeloda (pill form of chemo, easier on platelets and convenient to take at home), 2 weeks on, one off. The radioembo seems to have had an effect on stabilizing or slightly shrinking the tumors it targeted within the liver. without a PET, its hard to tell if theyre dead. she has snother CT next week. Pams dsughter Lauren had radioembo and the couldnt tell till they did surgery that the tumors were completely dead. meanwhile, my sister does niot seem to have any negative effects from the procedure. only problem is that mets had come up in ither places in the time she was either attempting gem cis (bloid counts prevented many infusions) and the months off chemo for clearing it out of system to do the y-90/radioembo.
Who is your wife's oncologist?
Take care, Willow

Willow

Hi Willow,

Very glad to hear your sister handled the radioembo so well.  I think we are probably going to go down that path as well.  Our oncologist is Dr. Cho-Phan.  She has been supportive (maybe a little passive for my taste, but ok). 

As far as radioembo goes, do you know which Dr. did the procedure for your sister (Louie or tze)?  What did you think of the doc?  Did you stop chemo before and after the procedure, and if so how long?

Sorry for all the Q's, but thanks for any answers!

Jason

Another 3 rounds of Gem/Cis done and another scan.  More shrinkage!  We are feeling pretty good right now.  Hopefully it keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Jason

Great news Jason!!

Congrats Andrea!!!
Lots of prayers for HOPE and shrinkage!!!!!
Cathy

Dear Jason, I love the sound of the word shrinkage, shrinkage, shrinkage! Thank you so very much and we will be expecting another good report like this one!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Love the word shrinkage!! Yay!!

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Congratulations! Shrinkage is a great word to hear!!!!

Any advice given is based on my experiences and should not be substituted for any medical recommendations. Please speak with your provider before making any changes.

Jason.....that is simply fantastic.  Congratulations.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Great news about the shrinkage Jason, love it!!! Hoping like you that it gets smaller and smaller!!

Best wishes,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Hi! My surgeon was Dr. Kato and I have not heard anyone having a bad outcome with him on these boards, but maybe I'm not reading the right things. He did a non-curative resection for me in January 2013 followed immediately by y-90 of the remaining lobe (He took the whole left lobe with main tumor but left the right with some small tumors. the y-90 radiation killed them). All quiet since then. He is definitely outside the box.

Great news! Shrinkage is an awesome word!

Cathy

Holly....so nice to hear from you.  You have been missed.
Hugs,
Marion