Between 1987 and 1995, a phase III trial of the EORTC (European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer) Gastrointestinal Tract Cancer Cooperative Group to determine the effectiveness of adjuvant radiotherapy and 5-Fluorouracil after curative resection of cancer of the pancreas and periampullary region. The results are presented at the following link:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article … 06p776.pdf
The author state that the cancer in the periampullary region is periampullary carcinoma and it occurs in the ampulla of Vater, duodenum, and the distal common bile duct. The authors also state that in periampullary cancer, the 2-year survival rate was 63% in the observation group and 67% in the group that had adjuvant therapy, however p=0.737 for their analysis which means that the results were not statistically significant.
I became interested in this because it was a phase III test involving adjuvant therapy and the distal common bile duct was mentioned. My problem was that I couldn't find if periampullary carcinoma was cholangiocarcinoma. The paper "Adjuvant treatment in biliary tract cancer: To treat or not to treat?" has 11 references to periampullary cancer including adenocarcinoma of ampulla of Vater (4), periampullary cancer (2) ampulla of Vater cancer (1) ampullary carcinoma (2), and ampullary adenocarcinoma (2), the second most references for a paper on biliary tract cancer, the first being gallbladder. I could not find mention of periampullary, ampulla or Vater in ICD-O-3 (International Classification of Diseases for Oncology, 3rd edition) although I did find it as Code 156.2 in the 1st edition, and C24.1 in the 2nd edition. In the 1st edition, it was coded with the "gallbladder and extrahepatic bile ducts" and in the 2nd edition, it was coded with "other and unspecified parts of biliary tract."
Page 74 of the paper,
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article … 02-070.pdf
states, "However, only 75% of periampullary tumours are truly of pancreatic origin . . . " but doesn't mention what the other 25% are.
Does anyone have more information about periampullary tumours and could they be cholangioncarnoma?
Please be advised that any advice or information in my posts is my personal opinion only and is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. ALWAYS seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider.