Topic: Xeloda alone is helping!

Just a quick note to share that my sister just had her first really good checkup at Stanford. I don't have the details yet but am very relieved. She has been on Xeloda alone after having y-90 in both sides of liver in January. Before that she was on gem Cis but inconsistently due to it slamming her platelets and WBCs down too low. Each scan had shown progressing disease till this one...will get more scoop soon. So glad . We've had a nice summer and got to go out of town together to the coast recently... Then I've been camping and carting my kids off to camps and in 2 weeks will take my firstborn off to college! All my sibs (5), our mom (age 88), nieces and nephews are coming to scatter our fathers ashes in the SF bay from a yacht this month too. So nice to have good news for my sister who has CC as she is taking the loss of Dad kind of hard. He was 90 and really had a healthy adventurous life till only the last year when alzheimers took Its course.  we had his memorial at my home in April and now that he is no longer suffering I am looking forward to scattering his ashes in the beautiful bay of his home city of the last 30 years (SF).

Willow

Re: Xeloda alone is helping!

That's great news about your sister Willow.  So nice to top your already nice summer with such great news!

Hugs.
-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

That's great news about your sister Willow! Thanks for sharing that, and hoping that this is the start of the good news rolling on for your sister! Fingers are crossed for her!

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Willow,

I am so glad your sister got good news and hoping it continues!

Suzy

Hi Willow, I am elated over your Sister's update. I wish and hope for the good news to continue. Also, I cannot think of a more beautiful place to put Dad to rest than the SFO Bay area! Thanks so much for the great update!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Thank you all. It's great to see my sister enjoying time with her son too. Just want him to grow up with his mom and for her to enjoy the milestones and joys of raising him.

Willow

Willow...everything is falling in place for your sweet sister and your family.  This is wonderful news.  I also live in the Bay Area hence I can only concur with the chosen place for your Dad's ashes.  It is beautiful here.
I so much can relate to your firstborn going off to college.  We are so proud and yet so anxious about the future of our children.  My oldest left me in tears and laughter when leaving our driveway as his parting words was:  Love you, please send money.  What is even more hilarious is that he only went to Sacramento a mere 60 miles from here.  For his graduate degree though he went much farther, but by then I was conditioned to the change.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

This is fabulous news! I am so happy for your sister..sending hugs
Lisa

This Information Is Not Intended Nor Implied To Be A Substitute For Professional Medical Advice. You Should Always Seek The Advice Of Your Physician Or Other Qualified Health Care Provider

Great news for your sister!! Xeloda is proving to be effective against some of these cc mutations! I am so happy to hear your sister is one of these, as the side effects can be much less than cisplatin or oxaliplatin.

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Hi, I haven't checked in awhile but would like to tell you that my husband is 15 months out from liver transplant and doing great! Cancer free and healthy.
Cisplatin very difficult with no immune systeem and while the xeloda was rough  thankfully we found Mississippi Miracle mud which relieved pain immediately unlike anything else we tried.  We are forever grateful to Dr. Javle at MD Anderson and Dr. Ghobrial and Dr. Gordon-Burroughs at Methodist in Houston. Hang in there!

sdaigre, It just doesn't get any better in the news department than this! YIPPEE! You made my day. Your husband is a Super Hero and brings our site much HOPE and thank him for that! Sending thoughts your way for continued success and enjoy your lives to the fullest! Thank you for the update and this is such encouragement for others.

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

sdaigre....congratulations on all fronts.  The timing of your posting could not have come at a better time for our Tiff, as she also underwent transplantation.  I hope that you don't mind - I have forwarded the link of all your past postings to her.
Again, wonderful, wonderful news.  I wish for continued success.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Sdairge,
Thats very good to hear of your husbands successful transplant!. just wondering about the Mississippi miracle mud? I looked it up and its mainly for topical skin conditions (and very expensive). Surprised to hear it relieves pain...do you mean from neuropathy pain on skin of  hands and feet?

Willow

Hi sdairge,

That is brilliant news about your husband and thanks so much for sharing that with us all!! Cancer free and healthy, doesn't get much better than that! I hope that you both are enjoying life!

My best wishes to you and your husband,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Willow, I am happy to hear of your sister's news. She and I seem similar and I am right now trying to decide to use xeloda or not. One of my oncs says xeloda alone not much help with cc, the other onc says it is a good option. So many variations on a theme, this cancer. btw I am having a good summer on nothing - counts too low for chemo, scans show nothing there (at least nothing as big as a cm that could show up) so I have been just coasting. It has felt great. A little honeymoon, I guess. My interventional radiologist was thrilled with the y90 results, said he'd do it again when the tumors come back...did your sister's y90 help last winter? xox, Holly

Holley, jumping in here to say I love your good news! It's also good to see your smiling face again! Keep on coasting but please let us know how you are doing now and then!

Holly,
You sound great! Thanks for posting your thoughts and status. The Y-90 does show success though couldn't help the tumors outside the liver so that's where the chemo is needed. Nice to see a good response to Xeloda alone. My sis was worried it wasn't "strong enough" by itself. Meanwhile her blood counts have stayed stable. 2weeks on and one week off, with side effects worst on recovery week. Nausea for 1-2 nights with flu like fatigue for those days. Then she feels good most of the time and carries on with life as usual. I'm really happy to hear you don't have to take any chemo for now and things look so good for you. Keeping you in my thoughts.
Willow

Willow

thank you Willow and Lainy. I just go all hermit sometimes, sorry. xoxox

Hey! We like hermits too. But is it is always good to hear how this little hermit is doing! We will take what we can get as its always good to see your smiling face!

Holly...I agree with Lainy - it is wonderful to hear from you.  I am thrilled to see that you are fairing well.  Holly, as you live in DC I thought to forward this event held by the American Cancer Society.  Let me know if it is something you are interested in and are able to attend:
http://action.acscan.org/site/MessageVi … v_id=88453

Hugs,
Marion