Topic: Know Before You Go-Co-Pays

Know before you go on Co-Pay! I was to go to MDA Phoenix tomorrow morning for a CT Scan. Had last one in December and co -pay was $250.00. Fair enough. I got a call from MDA my Co-Pay this time is 840.00!!! THEY HAVE YET TO GIVE ME A VALID REASON.  I XXLD the CT and the ONC and am getting a new ONC. My gut is not happy with this one anyway. We have a great Imaging Center called EVDI I have always gone to and co-pay is 200.00. They also let you pay it out and MDA wanted me to pay all upfront? If I don't like my SCAN can I get a refund!? Honestly I am so angry and just wanted to warn everyone to know before they go exactly what the charges will be WHERE EVER YOU GO. I'll get on this again Monday to frustrated to see and also found out most of the ONCS in my close area now go to MDA!  Not one person could tell me why I paid 250.00 6 months ago!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Re: Know Before You Go-Co-Pays

Hi,  Lainy,

I was billed for my labs all at once for the past 7 months.
And it was supposed to be free  as part of the employee health benefits where I work for.
So i called them up and they said they are still working with the new computer systems ( part of   the new healthcare requirement that will take effect next year) . Most hospitals and doctor offices were trying before Last May,2013 to START implement all or part of the computer system they chose in order to get the proportion of 5 million dollars federal fund that will be reimbursed  to them.

The problem is that some hospital try so hard to get the reimbursement  in time and they forget to train their employees well enough to understand the new system and therefore mistakes were made in billings among other minor things.(ps. there are only a handful of healthcare computer systems companies in the States and every body wants them in a hurry).
I also know some doctors of my age quit or send in their younger partner for hospital rounds due to the fact that they do not want to use the new computer system to enter everything.They prefer the old method of writing orders and physician notes the old fashion way in the patient's chart.
it will take some time to get use to it. But I believe the new electronic system requirement by the new healthcare law will eventually simplify and much effective than now.
Imagine all you need is a medical card to do everything related to your health as compare to now ,besides a mountain of different kinds of bills need to be paid. you need to go from doctor to doctor,hospital to hospital and drug store to drug store to just get copies of everything to send for 2nd or 3rd opinion.The new system,in the long run will eliminate all of these.
And Lainy,  i think this may be one of  the reason that they cannot answer your question to your satisfaction because they may not know either.
God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

Good point Percy. But because of some strange reasons I got for the co-pay of 845.00 compared to 250.00 from last Dec. I just don't trust them anymore.  Here are some of the things they told me.

1.  I didn't have a full Scan in Dec. Well Dec. CT was the same as was ordered for today. (By the way I didn't go)

2.  I never paid for the other one! They have not come after me either! LOL

3.  I have to register as an in patient therefor I am charged for a room.

Found out then that MDA will order my Scans where ever I want to go. They just prefer to do it so everything is under one roof.

I cannot deal where I cannot trust. Calling Hospital Monday and they will give me some ONCs to call. I had an ill feeling about this guy anyway as did my daughter. Your points are well taken. Thanks.

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Hoping you get the financial problems resolved and that you find an oncologist you can trust.

Enjoy the weekend,
Carl

Hi Carl. We had the best for Teddy's whole 5 years and right after T passed he retired. Loved him and used him for myself and Always rated the tops in Phoenix. A wonderful man. Guess I keep comparing the rest to him. At least I am only being "watched" and have 2 CT a year. I start my 5th year in October and am pretty sure I then go to once a year. I would have stayed with the office as there were 8 ONCS but they moved to another Hospital. Such is life. You both have a great weekend too. My weekend cannot beat the date I had last night with my 19 yr old Grandson.  Dinner and talk and talk. He goes to U of A in Tucson on a full ride scholarship, Granddaughter to NAU in Flagstaff is a SR this year and is on a full ride scholarship and hopefully the 17 yr old  next year to ASU in Phoenix. He says all 3 of us then will be in the same system diff colleges!~ Am I proud? You betcha!