Well - it's been quite the few days. When last we saw our hero Dave he had begun his first round of FUDR (internal pump chemo) last Monday. Monday Tuesday and Wednesday he felt amazing, the best he had felt since the CC was originally diagnosed, and eating up a storm. That turned 180 degrees Thursday, Friday, and Saturday - he felt lousy, completely lost appetite or interest in eating, and started feeling a lot of lower back pain. Keep feeling like one step forward and 2 steps back. He is never ever the complainer but finally he agreed to let me take him to MSKCC as he had a lot of swelling around the pump and redness (both on the list of things to look out for). His bloods showed his white blood cell count was elevated (13,000 as opposed to 11,000). They called in Dr. Fong's Fellow who drained some (about 170 cc!!) fluid from the pocket around the pump.
She ordered a CT to eliminate Kidney stones. They were pretty backed up in Radiology, and the Fellow appeared to have left for the night so we were sent home around 1AM. We stopped at an all night diner (with all the clubbers and trannies calling it a night) and had eggs and fries :-)
We were awakened Sunday morning by a call from the covering Chief Resident who had seen the chart and had met with a Radiologist to review the CT. Even though the requested CT was only of the abdomen and surrounding area they could see a little of the bottom of the lungs in the film and there was clearly a blood clot - a great catch by the Radiologist. They wanted us to rush right in as they diagnosed the clot as well as a pulmonary embolism. They admitted Dave as soon as we got there because they wanted to do another CT to see the upper torso and they wanted to get him on blood thinners asap. Unfortunately we would have to wait until Monday for another CT since you can't do the contrast again for at least 24 hours (kidney damage). Basically they admitted him and administered heparin, took bloods, BP, temp etc.
Monday morning Dr. Fong was in bright and early and told us blood clots are common for cancer patients and we'd be around for at least a couple of days. He also was concerned as he suspected there were probably additional clots in his legs. They plan to move Dave from I.V. Heparin to shots we can administer at home. Dr. Fong said he had a "good feeling" about the chemo and had his fingers crossed. CT will be done on Tuesday.
So glad we are so close by and as much as I love having Dave home, we feel blessed that he is in the hospital, being closely monitored and in such good hands. Never a dull moment.