Topic: Surgery didn't happen

I just thought I would update everyone  and get some advise.

Gordon was supposed to have surgery yesterday August 20th but two hours into it they had to stop. The did a scope first and noticed the "good" part of his liver was very damaged. They said it was due to all the infections and the chemo!! I was so floored! I expecting for him to tell me it had spread or that he would get through but have complications! Not this!

Im beyond distraught! So can anyone tell me anything about this, has anyone heard of this? is this really bad? Do I just have a short time with my husband?

It is a huge tumor and and has gotten into the diaphram but hasnt seeded? What does that mean. The dr mentioned radiation may be the best thing but is it worth it?? Yes a lot of questions............so upset :(

My husband is my hero!!! Love him so much!! We are going to fight the best we can with knowledge, support from friends and strangers and God getting us through!!

Re: Surgery didn't happen

Hi,Heather,

May be the best way to handle this is to wait a couple days,and go to the medical records dept, to get the surgical report  to truly understand what is it all about with regard to the doctor 's comment.
That way you can know exactly what the doctor means and what is the " damage "means . After that, then to see whether RFA,IRE,CRYOABLATION, and TACE , radioembo will be useful.
God bless.

Please know that my personal opinion is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. If  provided, information are for educational purposes.Consult doctor is a MUST for changing of treatment plans.

We have an appointment with Dr. javle tomorrow afternoon and the surgeon on Friday so hopefuly I will come alot more info I was just wondering if anyone knew anything or has experenced this...

My husband is my hero!!! Love him so much!! We are going to fight the best we can with knowledge, support from friends and strangers and God getting us through!!

Heather -
So sorry they were not able to do the resection. I know when my husband was scheduled for his resection they warned us up front that they would not know what they were getting into until they got in there. They attempted to do a Laprosopic check of the tumor first then would proceed only if they thought they could get it all....there was concern that his was wrapped around the artery and vein (he had hilar CC).

Ask lots of questions and read the surgical report (have someone interpret if needed). I know they can take quite a bit of the liver and it will regrow so ask, ask, ask and keep pushing for explanations and options.

Kris

Any advice given is based on my experiences and should not be substituted for any medical recommendations. Please speak with your provider before making any changes.

yes we will!! My sister and his Dad will be in the appointment tomorrow. That is exactly what they did, put a scope in there. Gordons tumor is 8 cm and the other side of the liver is damaged so it very scary, the unknown...but my father in law is not leaving until all his questions get answered and ironcally he had the sameones i do!! I am blessed with an amazing family.

It's great that you have a good support system. That is as important as anything. And going in a group to see the doc together is great because everyone will pick up something different and different questions may come up. You may want to write a list of must answer questions so you get all the questions asked....it's easy to get off track. And if you don't understand what they tell you ask for it in plain English (docs throw medical terms around like crazy).
Good luck and keep us posted.

Kris

Any advice given is based on my experiences and should not be substituted for any medical recommendations. Please speak with your provider before making any changes.

Heather, I am so sorry to hear this. I know how hard it is to have surgery be taken away. Ask lots of questions, but be assured there have been many advancements... It's been 1.5 years since my surgery was cancelled at the last minute.
Keep a positive attitude and get all the answers you can!

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Heather, I am so very sorry about the aborted surgery. Its true they just don't really know until they go in and see with their own eyes. Ditto to what the others said but I am happy you will have the support with you of other family members. Try not to jump to conclusions until you hear the full report. Sounds like we may all have to go to Medical school to learn what the Docs are telling us.  You never know how strong you are until "strong" is the only choice you have! Sure wish I could take this all away from you.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Heather....I too am sorry to hear of what has happened. Setbacks such as these are difficult to digest.  Although, not the news you had expected to hear there are some options laid out to you.  Radiation treatments of various kind have proven to be successful for others hence, Gordon may very well benefit also.  Although, you will have this confirmed by the doctor, no seeding simply means that the cancer has not metastasized.  Hang in there, dear Heather, too much is still to be determined.  Please know that we will be awaiting your next posting and that tons of hugs are heading your way.
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Hi Heather,

So sorry to read about the aborted surgery.  Hopefully you will get some answers soon and be able to gear up for the next fight.  Please keep us posted when you learn more.  we are here for you!

-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

i'm so sorry heather.

i cannot even imagine how devastated you must be.

hopefully you get all the answers you need when you meet with
the drs.  Smart of you to bring others in ...i always seem to freeze
up and forget what i wanted to ask when i go.

Dorien

Heather, sorry about the surgery. Try to focus on knowing Dr. Javle is at the top of the CC game and is apparently not a quitter, and a very kind and  patient doctor. He has been there for so many of our CC family. Your family all needs to have a mini conference before doctor visit and get all your questions and concerns on paper so you don't miss any questions and all the information Dr. Javle can share with you.
Lots of prayers and HOPE for Gordon-Cathy

Dear Heather,

I am really sorry to hear this news from you about Gordon's surgery. Like the others have said to you, unfortunately this happens sometimes with surgery in that they have to be stopped after starting. I know that you are distraught and this is a big blow to you both, but please do not give up hope here. Please stay strong. I hope that you will get some better news from Dr Javle and the surgeon as well when you have your apps with them. Please know as well that we are all here for you and will help in any way that we can.

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Dear Heather,

I am so sorry to read that the surgery was halted - no wonder you feel devastated and harvest many questions.  My sisters resection in December was halted after 2 hours due to her tumour being more advanced than imaging had shown.  It's devastating news to take in and I'm glad that you will be sitting own with your husbands doctor and going through it all. 

Dig deep and use the forum for as much support as you need.

X

Clare

In the stars now . . . .

Well guess what!!!

We had visits with both doctors. surgeon and Dr. Javle. The liver will improve, the tumor did not spread, the biggest concern is infections. So Gordon will start a new regimin of chemo. I will have to get back with you about what the are using, it will include an antibody and its very new so were not sure if it will get approved. (the antibody one)The tumor needs to shrink, no infections and there is no doubt in the surgeons mind that he will for sure have the surgery. He might need radiation but it will just be one day at a time. We had great visits!! these doctors don't give up at MD Anderson. I totally broke down while in the surgeons office today.

We have hope again... Even if Gordon does not have the surgery, we were reassured that people can live a long time with the tumor being controlled.

And thank you guys for listening and encouraging!!

Yall are the best!!

That is awesome news, Heather. Congratulations! Having a breakdown is expected I have had a few of those, too. Also remember that there are new medical breakthroughs and treatments everyday....tomorrow may hold the answer!

KrisV

Dear HOPE, I mean Heather, the roller coaster is again on an upward ride! That is such good news to follow a devastating day. Teddy had radiation and his only reaction was fatigue. These ONCs are something else and really what better news than treatments are available. Can't wait to here what they come up with. I just know you will keep us posted. Try to relax over the weekend, you both certainly deserve it! Big cyber hugs coming at you both!

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

This is great news Heather!! Thanks for letting us know about the meeting with Dr Javle and yes, there certainly is hope! Everything will be crossed for Gordon's chemo and remember to keep us updated on everything!

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Wow - what a turn of events.  This is good news to read Heather.

x

Clare

In the stars now . . . .

Great news!  This journey really is a roller coaster and i am glad you are on top again!

-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Thanks yeah I think I'm going to name this roller coaster!!! LOL

I think it's called the bastido!! smile
Good to hear hopeful news. And you are allowed to break down. Just make sure to remember to get back up and dust yourself off...

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Ha, Ha, Kris, good one. How about Italian for Devil?  Diavolo or Demonio. The only problem is no one wants a ticket to ride!

Heather,
I am so sorry for all you have been through but I am thrilled to see the word Hope and hear of doctors that don't give up.  Sending hugs and prayers.
Lisa

This Information Is Not Intended Nor Implied To Be A Substitute For Professional Medical Advice. You Should Always Seek The Advice Of Your Physician Or Other Qualified Health Care Provider