Topic: Update on my husband
I haven't posted for a while as my husband hasn't been feeling very well and I've been very concerned about him. Two months ago his scan showed ascites in his abdomen, he became jaundiced, and he had a high fever. The doctor decided to change his chemo from Folfiri to gemcitabine. I was not comfortable with this decision but my husband decided to go along with the doctor's recommentation. The doctor also prescribed antibiotics as he thought some of the problems might be caused by infection as well as diuretics to address the ascites.
It appears that the doctor's suspicion of an infection was correct as the ascites and fever have disappeared and bilirubin, albumin and other liver function tests have returned to normal. However, we learned yesterday that the most recent scan shows a bit of tumor progression. The doctor changed the chemo to oxaliplatin and Xeloda and this makes sense to me. We also discussed some other steps that can be taken if this regimen is not successful.
Although the news about the scan was not good, I feel that we are back on the right track. Terry is feeling better and we are determined to stay optimistic and enjoy the rest of the summer.