Topic: Other treatment alternatives

My wife has non-resectable bile duct cancer and is not a candidate for a liver transplant.   She can no longer take radioembolization with Y-90 or chemotherapy.

I was thinking about checking with MD Anderson and Mayo in Jacksonville to see if they had any other therapies that she might tolerate.   

I know MD Anderson has a Proton therapy.  However I don't know if it works on Bile Duct Cancer.

Has anyone been to either of these hospitals and received anything other than chemo or radiation?

Re: Other treatment alternatives

GTM I am so very sorry to hear about your wife's situation now. As far as I know either Mayo or MDA are good, let's see if any more suggestions come up. I don't know for sure of other treatments as my husband never had chemo and had only 25 treatments or radiation. I just want to wish you the best of luck and Be Strong!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Mda does offer proton therapy for bile duct cancer but they do have to evualuate you to see if your a candidate

My husband is my hero!!! Love him so much!! We are going to fight the best we can with knowledge, support from friends and strangers and God getting us through!!

Good luck to you, I hope this works out

praying

My husband is my hero!!! Love him so much!! We are going to fight the best we can with knowledge, support from friends and strangers and God getting us through!!

5 (edited by gtm2009 Tue, 03 Sep 2013 13:39:03)

Thanks to all for your responses.  I just got a phone call from MD Anderson that she is not a candidate for proton therapy as she has reached her radiation limit.   I guess now it's just a matter of time at this point.

While I am here though I'd like to say how pleased I am with the doctors and nurses at Winship Cancer Center and Emory University Hospital.   The cancer was rather large when she was first diagnosed.  Yet she is managing to survive after 4 years.

A fourth year fighter... Here's praying for many many more!
Have you looked into trials? I've been on one for 5 months, and while its not changing, the good news is its not changing!!
Good luck.

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.