Well, it was an interesting and long day.
GI doc really listened to us and our concerns today which was so much better than the last who just came in and said this is what we are going to do then got upset when we just didn't jump on board.
He would like to do the ERCP but is willing to wait and see if there are any more infections. He says that now because multiple bile ducts come out of the liver into the small intestine that only one of them may actually be narrowed....he's even pretty sure he knows which one based on some dilation they are seeing on the MRCP. That explains why the liver functions are fluctuating some (they are mostly normal but when he gets an infection they go up some). He thinks but doesn't promise that they could go in and just use a balloon to open the narrowing up without putting a stent in.....stent would be the last resort since he is such a high risk for infection. Of course the possible side effects would be pushing bacteria into his blood stream when the inject the dye.....hmm sounds like something that would happen to us.
Felt pretty good about it and understand better why it may really be needed and why we would risk increased infection to do this. He did say that they might not even be able to get to the liver since he has had the previous radiation and his guts were such a mess with surgery. This is a really young doc too. He really looks like he's only about 16....not sure he's even shaving yet but he answered all our questions and spent the time with us we needed.
Right now it's watch and wait. Last dose of antibiotics was today and chemo next Friday so if we have an infection it will the end of the month.
So all in all I felt pretty good about it.
Back to work again Monday for both of us. And the youngest son is all settled in at college. WooHoo!
Thanks all for the support.
Any advice given is based on my experiences and should not be substituted for any medical recommendations. Please speak with your provider before making any changes.