Topic: Won't be around for a few days or so.

Hi All,

Just to let you know that I won't be around for a few days or so. Not sure exactly how long, but hopefully it won't be any longer than 3 or 4 days, I hope!  I'm in the middle of decorating my whole flat and the walls and the ceiling in my living room all need re-plastered. My mate is a plasterer, very handy, and he is starting work tomorrow. Anyway, I need to totally clear the living room of everything so have to dismantle the pc and move it into the bedroom along with everything else and there is no broadband connection through there. Actually, there is no room to even move in the bedroom right now as pretty much everything in my entire flat is in there now!

Bad idea this deciding to do the whole flat in one go as it is chaos here but saved a fortune as I'm doing it all myself, apart from the plastering of course! Just got the living room and kitchen left to do after the plastering, and also to scrape the bedroom and repaint it again as it didn't look great first time around. Painting over dark patterned wallpaper was such a bad idea! Painting direct onto the walls is sooo much easier than having to wallpaper and paint too, just have to scrape the paper off first and should have just done that originally. Grrrr! Ha, but it's good exercise I guess!

If anyone emails me or gets in touch then I'll reply when I get back online. Don't have a smartphone so I can't even do mobile web access, must get one sometime I guess! See you all when I get back online.

Hugs to all,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Re: Won't be around for a few days or so.

Gavin, please just don't plaster yourself in to the wall. You deserve a break and vacation but this hardly counts. Catch you on the flip flop!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

3 (edited by randigb Tue, 24 Sep 2013 12:24:50)

Good luck with the plastering.  Perhaps you should "get plastered" while your flat is being done smile  (hope you get that and it's just not an American phrase!)

Seriously, I have taken down every bit of wallpaper in my house over the years and it is a dirty dirty job, so I don't blame you for trying to bypass it.  But alas, as you found out, it is not good to paint over paper.  I have used hot water and vinegar to get the glue off the walls.  seems to work.  I just keep putting the bowl of vinegar/water  in the microwave when it gets cold and use a humongous sponge to wipe it on, give it a few minutes and use your scraper.  Takes lots of elbow grease but it gets the job done.

Oh and your house smells like a tossed salad smile

See you on the flip side.
-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Oh Gavin, I don't envy the work you have ahead of you!!!  Good luck and let's us know how it goes.  Just think how beautiful your place will look when you're nursing your sore bones!!!  ;-)

Mary

DIY - I feel your pain Gavin.  I'm the wallpaperer and painter in my house - just focus on the end result.  If I still lived in Dundee I'd have offered my services!

Clare

In the stars now . . . .

Hi Gavin,

My hubby and I redid the whole house we used to live in. What a job!!! I don't envy you. Good luck with everything. You will be missed.

Hugs,
-Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Gavin, I don't envy the process you're in but hope you enjoy the results! smile

Willow

Have fun! Better you than me!

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Been there, done that and although it is a real pain, hopefully it will all be worth it in the end.  Good luck!  smile

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Thanks everyone, back on line now! About time as it seemed ages since I was here even though it was only 4 days or so!

Living room all plastered now and just waiting for it to dry out before I can start painting it. Will wait at least another week or so before doing that just to be sure it is totally dry then start putting undercoats on it. Will do 2 undercoats to let the paint soak into the walls before doing 2 or 3 normal coats. Still got the ceiling cracks in the living room to fix but that should be a breeze to do so moved all of my stuff out of the bedroom back in here so I can scrape the bedroom. Got most of that done and that will be finished today.  Then got some patching in the bedroom to do before sanding it then painting and once again will be moving everything back in there from the living room!

Kitchen all patched too and just waiting for that to dry out as well before painting that. Got to sand the walls there as well but that won't take long. All paint is bought and ready to go and once I finally get painting it shouldn't take too long, hopefully a week or two at the most.

The end is in sight, finally! But once all my painting is done mum wants me to start on doing her doors and woodwork as well, fun and games!

Hugs to all,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Welcome back Gavin!!!  Wow, your "to do" just exhausted me!!!  Sounds like it will be beautiful when all done but I think you will have one sore body from all that work!!!

Stay well,
Mary

Welcome back, Gavin!

Willow

Gavin,

I think you need to take a break.  smile  Sounds like it will all be worth it when all done, but very exhausting and now that your mum has seen what a good job you are doing it sounds like your next project awaits.  smile  At least while working on hers you can always go home to you new and improved home for a rest now & again.  smile
Glad to see you back on line.

Love Ya,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Thanks all! Bedroom is pretty much all scraped now, apart from 2 side bits to the window........ got all of the painted paper off only to discover under that was about 5 coats of paper that probably goes back to the 1920's or so! It is horrible black and brown patterned dark paper that looks like leather! This building is well over 100 years old so it was probably put on decades ago and all the previous owners have probably saw that when the decorated and thought sod scraping that off, we'll just paper over it, many many times over the decades!

Well, it is coming off today! Got a load of wallpaper removal fluid and my bad boy scraper so that will sort it out, hopefully! The bad boy scraper is the size of a small hammer and has a 4" razor blade at the end of it. That should sort things out and it puts other scrapers to shame! smile

Need to decide whether or not to scrape the ceiling in the bedroom though. It has woodchip on it and that is a nightmare to scrape to say the least. Did it in the kitchen as that had woodchip and that was a major effort getting it off, plus I ended up hacking hunks out of the ceiling that I had to repair, hmmm.......  Will need to sleep on that me thinks!

Hugs,

Gavin