Topic: Sad news. Our beloved son, Jeff, has passed away.

CC Family,

It is with great sadness that we report our beloved son, Jeff, passed away at home in the evening on 9/25/13. He was surrounded by our family and friends.

Some of you are familiar with our story and others are not. Our wonderful Jeff was diagnosed with CC about 14 months ago. Because Jeff had developmental disabilities and high functioning autism, we decided not to tell him. We knew that this would only frighten and worry him. We did not want to place that burden on him during his battle. Amazingly, he was able to carry on with his normal routine up until the end. He continued working up until a couple of weeks ago, because he absolutely loved his job and his friends at work. He continued his Saturday morning bowling up until a couple of months ago and even then he wanted to go to watch and support his friends.

We are grateful to the many wonderful, compassionate and caring doctors, nurses and medical professionals that assisted us with Jeff’s care. We are very thankful that we have two top-notch medical facilities in USC and UCLA that are close to us. We were able to utilize both of these medical centers during the course of his treatment. We are confident that between our local physicians and these two great medical centers we were able to get Jeff the very best medical treatment possible.

He was blessed with a high pain tolerance and did not take narcotic pain meds until about 2 days prior. He just never would complain. If people would ask him how he was doing, he would simply say “I am blessed”. We are very thankful that God chose us to be his earthly parents.
We are humbled by the outpouring of love and support from his work family at Mattel as well as our friends and family. We simply could not get through this without our loving family and friends.

During Jeff’s last 14 months, we were able to enjoy many things together. We took him to Las Vegas, Minnesota three times and Hawaii. We were able to enjoy a Minnesota Vikings game, a Laker game and get Jeff’s picture with Kobe. We were able to enjoy a Stanford football game with field passes and get his picture with the cheerleaders of both teams as well as some of the football players. We will have these wonderful memories to cherish for the rest of our lives.

The CC Family was such an important part of our lives following Jeff’s diagnosis. We are deeply grateful for the friendship and support, encouragement and prayers, well-wishes and day to day practical helpful information that our CC Family has provided. I wish I would have posted more. But even when we weren’t posting, we were reading about and praying for our CC Family members. We will be forever thankful.

This week has been a very busy one for us, making the arrangements. The services for our Jeffrey will be tomorrow (Friday, 10/4/13). His obituary can be found online at the website for White & Day Mortuary or at LAfuneral.com.

Bob & Nancy McCandless
(jeff’smom&dad)

Re: Sad news. Our beloved son, Jeff, has passed away.

Dearest Bob and Nancy,

Know that dear Jeff is in our hearts and on this site, forever. 
Rest in peace, dear Jeff.

Hugs and love,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Dear Nancy and Bob, you have joined the amazing best parents club as you were parents to an awesome angel. I guess God needed Jeff more than we did on earth and we know he only picks the very best. I wish there was a way to bottle Jeff's attitude, hope and dignity to give some to all. I could say how sad this makes me but then Jeff would not have liked that. Concentrate on your best memories and know that he is now an extremely healthy Jeff and he will always be looking over you.

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn's rain,
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.                   By Mary Elizabeth Frye
For everything beautiful that you see
will bring a memory of me.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

He was blessed!

What a beautiful tribute to Jeff. He was very lucky to have such wonderful and caring parents. May Jeff rest in peace and may GOD bless your family at this difficult time.

Please accept my sincere condolences.  Jeff sounds like a remarkable young man.  How fortunate you all were to have each other for as long as you did!  Be kind to yourselves.
Lorina Johnson
Trackers Mom Forever 10/21/81 - 3/2/13

Dear Bob & Nancy,

I am so sorry for your loss.  It sounds like you are remarkable parents.  As they say, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" and that seems evident in the way Jeff lived his life.  He learned from the best.

Please know that I am thinking of you during this difficult time and will keep you in my prayers.

Jeff is now in the arms of The Lord.  God Bless Jeff!

Mary

Dear Bob and Nancy,

I am so sorry to hear of Jeff's passing. He seemed like such a wonderful son and you were such loving, kind parents to him. I will be thinking of you tomorrow as you attend Jeff's services. Bless you both as you face difficult times in the coming weeks and months. I know my Lauren was at heaven's gate waiting to welcome your precious Jeff. Take care.

Love and hugs,
-Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Bob and Nancy,

I have been following your posts about your loving son Jeff and am so very sad to read this latest post about his passing.  What a wonderful son to two very wonderful parents.  Your posts were always so filled with hope and love.  I am glad to hear that you got to spend some special time with Jeff and that he was able to be so functioning until the end.

You are in my thoughts and prayers and I will be thinking of you tomorrow.  We were very lucky to be able to know all of you through your posts.

Hugs,
-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Bob & Nancy,

So sorry for your loss.  Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers at this sad & trying time.

Love & hugs,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Dear Bob and Nancy,

I'm so very sorry to hear of Jeff's passing. I've followed all of your postings about him and his fight and I am sorry to hear this news. He was so brave and  courageous and I am glad that he was surrounded by his family and friends at the end. I know that you will miss him so much and I am very glad that you have made these memories to treasure for ever. My thoughts are with you both and your family right now.

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Dear Bob and Nancy,

I am truly sorry to read that your brave and remarkable son Jeff has died.  Your posting back in December was the first one I read when I joined this incredible forum.  He was blessed to have had you both as his parents.

Clare x

Clare

In the stars now . . . .

Dear Bob and Nancy,

We were deeply saddened to hear of Jeff's passing. As someone who is fighting this disease myself, I was inspired by his faith and positive spirit. That was especially evident in person. A high point in my journey was when Dr. Lenz brought us together at USC. What an honor to meet you both and shake Jeff's hand (I now know it should have been a fist bump).

Reading the posts on the obituary website, it was remarkable to see the dozens of posts from his coworkers at Mattel. He obviously was loved by all who knew him. You raised a wonderful son who was such a positive influence in the world.

We know that Jeff is surrounded by God's light, and we will continue to hold you in our thoughts and prayers.

Mark and Jeannemarie

Bob and Nancy  -  Words can not express the loss you and your family must be feeling for Jeff.  You are all in my prayers today.  Nancy, I believe your husband shared with you that Mark and I had the wonderful opportunity to meet Jeff and your husband during a routine visit to USC. I can't even begin to tell you how that was one of the most amazing moments of my life. Jeff had the most beautiful smile and was so cheerful. His spirit touched me and I will never forget that feeling. We were certainly blessed to spend a few moments with him. He will hold a special place in my heart especially as a mother of an autistic son.

Many Blessings, Jeannemarie Parsons

I am so sorry to read your sad news about jeff, my god bless you both, Pat

Bob and Nancy -
So sorry for the loss of Jeff. I am sure that his time on this earth was made even more wonderful by having such loving parents. We should all be so blessed.

KrisV

Any advice given is based on my experiences and should not be substituted for any medical recommendations. Please speak with your provider before making any changes.

Bob and Nancy,

I'm truly sorry for your loss.  I've followed Jeff's journey since joining this forum, and have always been inspired by his bravery and spirit.  From your posts, it's not hard to see you've also been incredible parents. 

Many hugs.

Julie

Hi Bob And Nancy,

I'm so sorry for your loss, please accept my sincere deepest condolences. Annie had told about Jeff, but I was waiting for your posting.Annie shared a few stories about Jeff with me and just by these stories.I know that he was remarkable young man. He was an inspiration to all and a strong fighter.Please know that my Ginger received him with open arms up in heaven,even though we have never met.Ginger knew about Jeff.Today is eight months ago that my Ginger passed.May God Bless You Both!

Gerardo!