When my daughter was diagnosed at 29 years old, one of her doctors at Sloan said, "no one wants cancer, but if you are going to get it you want one of the big 4. We have a lot more information and research on those." I know hearing that, we all thought if she had to get cancer, we wished it had been one of the big four.
It goes without saying that of course no one would want cancer- but if so stricken, I think it only natural to want the best prognosis, the most research dollars, and the biggest events in Central Park!
Before this all began, none of us had heard of cholangiocarcinoma but I've written more checks to Susan G. Komen over the years than I can count. An interesting fact is my computer doesn't recognize cholangiocarcinoma and is questioning if I've spelled it correctly.
That being said, I've known literally dozens of women with breast cancer over the last 20 years virtually all with early detection and positive outcomes until this year. Our dear friend Tricia passed away in August at 36 years old leaving a beautiful 4 year old son, a beloved husband and devoted parents.This was, and continues to be, heartbreaking beyond all description. She had been told that she had an 85 percent chance of surviving 5 years and her comment to us near the end was, "well I guess I'm in the 15 percent."
We tell our daughter that she is a person not a statistic and no one knows which side of the "percentage" roulette she will land in. We say our prayers for both Lauren and Tricia.