Topic: I wonder what people think of this?

This is in the UK media today, an awareness campaign by Pancreatic Cancer Action to highlight the poor survival rates from the disease.  To say that it has got people talking would be an understatement to say the least.

'I wish I had breast cancer': Pancreatic cancer charity's new campaign slogan causes outrage among sufferers of 'less lethal' disease.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic … l#comments

Just thought I would bring this here to see what peoples thoughts are.

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Re: I wonder what people think of this?

This campaign ad has really upset me, Gavin.  Sue didn't want a different cancer; she wanted NO cancer.

“When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ignorant and cold and uncaring. Whom ever ok'd that ad should be fired. Better yet make them volunteer in a Cancer Ward for a few months!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

"DITTO" to all of the above.  smile

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

5 (edited by LisaS Thu, 06 Feb 2014 11:36:36)

Well, I have to say, there are days when I've thought to MYSELF, if I HAD to have cancer, I wish it was one with a far better cure rate, but my normal and overall thought is that I didn't/don't want any cancer at all. I confess, its frustrating that hardly anyone has heard of this, that we don't get the funding of "bigger, better known" cancers and that there are no diagnostic tests, so that as a result, we are dying - many of us far to fast - and it seems treatment options are so limited. But, I wouldn't wish any cancer on anyone. It's awful and people with breast or colon cancer go through many of the same scary days we do. I "get" what the creator was trying to convey, but it's was pretty clumsy in my view.

Impatient patient.

We all looked at it work today. We all agreed that it was tactless and not very well thought out.....not matter what the gal says. None of us want to have cancer and none of us want anyone we know to have any type of cancer. And it's not like anyone wishes for any type of cancer.

KrisV

Any advice given is based on my experiences and should not be substituted for any medical recommendations. Please speak with your provider before making any changes.

I too wish that the person should have been more sensitive to others with her comments however; pancreatic cancer occurs about 40 times more often than CC and given the billions spent on research, their prognosis continues to be very poor.
Having said that, many times I have pointed out to physicians, researchers, the NCI, NIH, FDA and others that in comparison to other cancers our cancer suffers from severe neglect in the area of research and subsequent treatment options. In fact, it is for those reasons that this foundation came about. 
Do I want anyone to suffer from cancer - absolutely, I do not. 
Do I wish for our disease to happen to anyone - absolutely, I do not.
Do other cancers present better odds for those diagnosed - absolutely, they do.
Do others succumb to their cancers although the odds were better than those with CC - absolutely, they do. 
The delivery of her comments are very poor, but the underlying thought I understand. 
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

In a moment of weakness, there is understanding.  But is there anyone we know with breast cancer, or any cancer, we'd ask to change with us so we had a better survival chance?

This is 7 card stud poker, not draw poker.  We are "all in" and have to play the cards dealt to us.

Fighting with dignity, not desperation.

Live, Laugh, Love

I, too, think the ad is in poor taste. But, to be honest, I have said more than once I wish it was breast cancer. The survival rate is much higher. Does this bother breast cancer patients and survivors? I'm sure it does. I've actually had a discussion about my feelings with a breast cancer patient. She absolutely understood my feelings. She's pretty happy that, since she had to develop cancer, at least she has a good prognosis. She is 3(?) years post surgery, and about to start breathing more easily.

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

When my daughter was diagnosed at 29 years old, one of her doctors at Sloan said, "no one wants cancer, but if you are going to get it you want one of the big 4.  We have a lot more information and research on those."  I know hearing that, we all thought if she had to get cancer, we wished it had been one of the big four.

It goes without saying that of course no one would want cancer- but if so stricken, I think it only natural to want the best prognosis, the most research dollars, and the biggest events in Central Park!

Before this all began, none of us had heard of cholangiocarcinoma but I've written more checks to Susan G. Komen over the years than I can count.  An interesting fact is my computer doesn't recognize cholangiocarcinoma and is questioning if I've spelled it correctly.

That being said, I've known literally dozens of women with breast cancer over the last 20 years virtually all with early detection and positive outcomes until this year.  Our dear friend Tricia passed away in August at 36 years old leaving a beautiful 4 year old son, a beloved husband and devoted parents.This was, and continues to  be, heartbreaking beyond all description.  She had been told that she had an 85 percent chance of surviving 5 years and her comment to us near the end was, "well I guess I'm in the 15 percent." 

We tell our daughter that she is a person not a statistic and no one knows which side of the "percentage" roulette she will land in.  We say our prayers for both Lauren and Tricia.

I come from the unique position of having survived breast cancer and thyroid cancer and CC.  Breast cancer and thyroid cancer were a breeze compared to CC, a breeze.  There is nothing more comforting than having a doctor sit with you after diagnosis and say "97% of people with your cancer have surgery and radiation and go on to lead normal lives."  Or "all you need is surgery and to take thyroid replacement and you will live a normal life."

What they said to me with CC is that most people die from this.  You are lucky to be able to have potentially curative surgery, but that is still no guarantee.  You can have chemo and/or radiation, but we can't tell you that it will do anything to prolong your life or keep the cancer at bay.

So my dear friends, I found this ad entirely appropriate. However, I do understand why those battling breast cancer (or testicular cancer) would find it offensive, no one wants cancer of any kind.  nobody.

The sentiment for this ad is in the right place, but I can see why the delivery would be offensive to some....just not me.  I can make the comparison. I've been there.

-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

I hope I didn't scare people off of this thread!  I guess I was feeling kind of intense when I saw that video smile

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Randi...your input is invaluable.  Please don't worry - we are a free speech discussion board and I have yet to witness you saying anything unkind or inappropriate.  This board truly honors free speech by each and everyone in fact, that is what we thrive on.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

This ad is insensitive and cruel! When I was diagnosed with ICC my oncologist said well..you got one of the bad cancers and I asked if there was a good one and he said yes, breast cancer. Little did he know that my mother-in-law had died from breast cancer, my mother had breast cancer and several other friends and relatives. I do wish we received the money and awareness that others cancers do but no one wants any type of cancer!!! Think green!

This Information Is Not Intended Nor Implied To Be A Substitute For Professional Medical Advice. You Should Always Seek The Advice Of Your Physician Or Other Qualified Health Care Provider