1 (edited by DukeNukem Tue, 28 Jan 2014 17:15:13)

Topic: Low platelets

Missed the last two chemos due to low platelets (59,000 last week).  Will try again Thursday.  Had a brief flashback to just before CC was diagnosed.  Two weeks of weight loss and abdominal pain – just what I was experiencing last spring.  Doctor assured me that my liver was not changing and that the symptoms had nothing to do with CC.  Any ideas about how to raise platelets?  If I can't, this path seems to be ending.

Fighting with dignity, not desperation.

Live, Laugh, Love

Re: Low platelets

Hope someone will have some ideas. I haven't had to deal with low platelets yet myself, so sorry I'm not much help.

Impatient patient.

My sister has had problems with that. Took her off gem Cis, did Y-90/SIR sphere radiation and then put her on Xeloda which didn't hit her pkatelets so hard. Though never did it, they said perhaps Transfusions of platelets might be in the works (levels have to be below a threshold I think) . In some cases (more rare) they take your spleen out to combat low platelets. What did your doc say?

Willow

Duke,
They do transfusions for low platelets. I don't really know of any other way to raise them, although if you look online you can find whatever you want... True or not.
I did, however, eat more red meat when my rbc and platelets were a bit low. They were never too low for treatment, but my onc said that red meat could help.
I'm sorry to hear they aren't increasing on their own. Hopefully next time they will be better. Or hopefully your onc has an idea.

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Today was a success - platelets were up to 135,000 from two weeks at about 60,000.  Next week is off then start a new round Feb 12.  If that round goes ok onc wants another CT scan and then regroup depending on those results and my ability to keep platelets high enough.  She's definitely talking about taking several weeks off regardless - I may have to push her hard to keep chemo going as long as my body can take it and tumors keep getting smaller.

She wants the body to heal low platelets by itself.  I'm trying with diet (red meat sounds good to me), more exercise, and more vitamins.

In my pre-CC days I donated 15 gallons of blood.  Any bets on how much of a discount I would get if I needed blood?  My money is on nada.

I had been taking turmeric until I read the following from Sloan Kettering.
http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/turmeric
"Anticoagulants / Antiplatelets: Turmeric may increase risk of bleeding, as it also has antiplatelet properties."

On the up side, I turned in letter of intent to retire.  I've been working, mostly at home, 3-10 hours per week.  Too much to do to keep that up for muck longer.  Spring is coming with yard work and gardening.

It's late and I'm going to pay for this tomorrow (later today?).  But when the spirit moves me I can't sleep and tossing and turning keeps Aimee awake.  The cat has come down several times to walk across the keyboard to tell me it's time for bed.

Live, Laugh, Love

Duke, I love waking up to good news posts and especially yours with your good humor, a great start to my day. You mentioned retirement and gardening but WAIT! Are you getting a Spring this year! LOL

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

What is it with cats and keyboards? Mine seems to think me at the computer equates time to be annoying.

The other things that might help in addition to bred meats would be anything high in protein, and especially iron. Protein is important since it is the building block for everything. It does not have to be meat proteins, plant proteins such as beans and rice together or tofu well too. Other than that I can't think of anything specific.

KrisV

Any advice given is based on my experiences and should not be substituted for any medical recommendations. Please speak with your provider before making any changes.

Duke,
That's great news.. Hoping you can continue the chemo if its working. Retirement sounds like a good plan! Enjoy that rib-eye steak!
Cheers

Willow

A typical Ohio on Lake Erie springs lasts three weeks and is the time while snow is melting before it reaches 80 degrees.  The same lake that keeps us mowing grass until mid-November keeps us shoveling snow until mid-April.

But, no hurricanes, poisonous snakes, palmetto bugs, armadillos, or gators, so I can't complain.  Unless we talk about the Browns, Cavs, or Indians.  Then you bring the cheese and I will supply the wine.

Live, Laugh, Love

Heading West you may have to live through earthquakes, poisonous snakes mountain lions, bears, and a few other critters large and small.  Oh, and not to forget the wild fires spreading through California each year.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

I guess we all have our weather issues to deal with both good & bad no matter what part of the country we live in, but although you deal with a lot of other things out west and in California, including droughts, at least you won't ever have to deal with snowstorms, freezing cold & ice out there.  smile  Then again, stranger things have happened, so who knows.  wink

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Hi Duke,

When my daughter Lauren was on chemo and her platelets went low, she swore Gatorade made them go up. I think it was just the rest for another week, but each time they were low, she drank lots of Gatorade and the next time her blood was checked, voila, they were up about 200 points!!! Her oncologist just used to shake his head and laugh. She always managed to crack him up. It wouldn't hurt to try I guess. She drank the low cal kind.

Hugs,
-Pam

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.