Topic: Good report

My husband Mark received a good report this week.  Our journey at MDA began May 15, 2013.  Diagnosis:  Undiffertiated Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma approx. 15 cm at largest measure.  Resection was not an option and location made treatment very very difficult around blood vessels.  Chemo of Gem/Cis worked for 4 treatments 1/every two weeks.  Then after next 4 treatments scans were done again and it was back to the original size if not a little larger.  All cancer was confined to the liver.  Dr. Crane decided to have an Alloderm spacer surgically placed between the liver and soft tissue organs.  Two weeks after the surgery he began IMRT at 100Gy center and 58Gy outer edges.  Two month checkup on January 28th showed some ascites but no cancer.  In Dr. Cranes words, "the tumor is dead, there is no longer a life threatening issue."  The doctors had hoped for these results but were smiling when they walked in the door to see us.  They weren't sure this would work because of the size of the mass.  Praise God for His miracle working power through the hands of the doctor and many prayers.  No more chemo or radiation but will do further scans in 3 months to make sure everything is still showing clear.  Mark is still somewhat fatigued but that is getting better and fluid ascites in abdomen is gradually deminishing.  He is getting back to his old self a little more everyday.

Re: Good report

I am delighted for you both. While I have extrahepatic cc, I'm about to undergo IMRT and I'm hoping to share a similar report down the road! 

And, my brother was named Mark, so always happy to hear good news for a Mark!

Impatient patient.

Fantastic news.  It is wonderful to know that Mark's tumor is finished.   So thrilled for you both.  Wishing for his energy to continue to raise and for life to take on some kind of normality again.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

This is great news indeed! Thanks very much for sharing it with us all and I hope that Mark continues to make a smooth recovery from everything. Hoping too that the ascites continue to diminish and my fingers are crossed for further good news from the next scan in 3 weeks.

My best to you both,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Wow, what a great report! Fantastic news. My mum is currently considering either SIRT or IMRT, for a tumour the same size as Mark's, also confined to the liver - this report has given us such hope.

Best wishes and continued good news for Mark!

Fantastic news and I wish for this kind of new to just keep on coming! It just doesn't get better than this!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Great news! So happy for both of you!

KrisV

Any advice given is based on my experiences and should not be substituted for any medical recommendations. Please speak with your provider before making any changes.

Fabulous! Thanks fir restating the whole story from first tx w chemo. All the best to Mark!
Willow

Willow

Congratulations on such good news.  Thanks for sharing your journey with us.  News like this gives so much hope to others in similar situations.  Good luck to you and hoping the good reports just keep on coming. 

Love & Hugs,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

That is awesome!! So glad to read your good news.

Hugs,
-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Oh blessings and what wonderful news. I am so happy for you guys and that a turn had occurred for the better. How exciting it must be to share. Congrats and continued blessings, strength, and hope!

Hope, love, strength...2013 and for the years to come, Porter.

How nice to hear great news. All the best to both of you!!

My beautiful daughter, Lauren Patrice, will live on in my heart forever.

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based on my experience as a caretaker for my daughter, Lauren and from reading anything I can get my hands on about Cholangiocarcinoma. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

Wonderful news! What a great start to 2014 for you!!

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Wonderful news..congrats!
Lisa

This Information Is Not Intended Nor Implied To Be A Substitute For Professional Medical Advice. You Should Always Seek The Advice Of Your Physician Or Other Qualified Health Care Provider

Well, we are Feb 20th now and Dr. Cranes words were:  The tumor is dead.  There is no longer a life threatening issue.  We are seeing Dr. Herlong at MDA now as well to try and get the bile duct to open better.  He is receiving meds to help with that.  But, the tumor was large and the shape of it still appears on CT but it has become more of an appearance of a fluid filled sack with no cancer properties.  Their explanation is that because the fluid is still there and other ascites from the radiation, his bile ducts are still somewhat restricted.  So far, they have not had to put a drain in.  His fatigue level is diminishing and ascites is as well.  There is also no indication of liver disease.  Praise God Almighty!  Even doctor Crane came into our last appointment beaming with a bile smile.  They know it is God's hand with the treatments that made the difference.  Mark is still jaundiced due to the bile duct not being open completely.  But all in all he is doing really well and going to physical therapy twice a week to build back up.  Hope to share more good news.  The only negative is the 1500 sodium restriction to his diet that is being used to help get the ascites off.  LOL, I guess if that is the worst thing we are dealing with now, we can jump and dance.
Praying for all of you as well.

I love reading your incredible news. May God continue to bless you and your family.
Peace
Lisa

This Information Is Not Intended Nor Implied To Be A Substitute For Professional Medical Advice. You Should Always Seek The Advice Of Your Physician Or Other Qualified Health Care Provider

Fantastic news.  Salt restriction may very well be "temporary" and your husband will then be able to indulge a bit more.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

YIPPEE! It just doesn't get much better than that. Keep the good news coming!

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Such great news.  So happy for you and hoping things continue on this course.  Wishing you the best.

Love & Hugs,
Darla

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Great, great news! Now to get that pesky bile duct opened and get rid of that jaundice!!
I'm always so happy to hear good, and better yet, GREAT news! LOVE the words dead tumor!

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Great good news!  Congrats. 
Always great to hear when things are moving in the right direction.

-Randi-

Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).

My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.

This is absolutely fantastic!  Thanks so much for sharing this good news.
Best regards for Mark's future!