Topic: Snow, Snow Go Away

My mother's SIRT was delayed a few weeks while waiting for approvals/paperwork.  She is scheduled to have a mediport put in and the mapping done tomorrow.... but we're expecting 8-10 inches of snow.

We don't want it put off, so we plan to drive down tonight (about an hour) and pay for a hotel that is near the hospital for 2 nights.  Yesterday the nurse did say that she and the doctor will be there even if it snows.... I really hope they don't cancel on us.

Re: Snow, Snow Go Away

Good plan, good plan! Wish I could send you some of my Phoenix weather as we are in the 70's now. Tons of good luck today and I hope the necessary people made it to the hospital.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Drive safely.  Fingers are crossed for everything to work out in the best way possible.  So many things are out of our control - the weather conditions are a prime example. 
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Drive safely, and prayers for good reports!

KrisJ
"Don't just have minutes in the day; have moments in time."
Any opinions I give are based on personal experiences, and are not based on medical knowledge. I strongly suggest receiving medical care and opinions.

Thank you all for the well wishes. Last time at this hotel was when we had the disappointing surgery results . Already I'm reminded of how many wonderful people we have already met in this journey. After 3 nights of sleeping in hospital room and coming back for a quick shower to hotel, I went into coffee shop and on checkout the nice young girl looked at me and asked how I was.  After being strong in hospital, I proceeded to break down and told her why I was here . she wouldn't take my money for breakfast. I just ran into her again 3 months later while picking up food for morning and she remembered me(mom with me this time)  So many thank yous and positive letters I should be writing to managers of people we have dealt with.  So many have shown such professionalism and compassion.

Smart move to drive down early. We have done that more than once with chemo since we have to be there at 8am for chemo and it's a 2-3 hour drive for us. Quite often it seemed we got just a little snow the night before chemo so rather than chance any accidents, we went up the night before.
Between my husband and son one of them was inpatient 35 nights this summer. The staff at the hotel we stayed at knew me on site and they did everything to help me out. One day even bumping me ahead of others who were there for a conference so I could have a room. The one young man at the desk knew I needed a fan to sleep so made sure there was in the room for me whenever he saw my name. The really nice thing was the hotel is actually attached to the hospital so at night I didn't have to be out after dark.

Good luck and hopefully everything goes well.
KrisV

Any advice given is based on my experiences and should not be substituted for any medical recommendations. Please speak with your provider before making any changes.

Hope it all goes well Catherine and hope that you have a safe trip as well. Good luck with everything and please let us know how things go.

My best to you and your mum,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Safe travels. Praying for good results.
Lisa

This Information Is Not Intended Nor Implied To Be A Substitute For Professional Medical Advice. You Should Always Seek The Advice Of Your Physician Or Other Qualified Health Care Provider

Hello,

We made it through the port placement and the mapping.  Had 18 inches of snow at home, so staying near the hospital was perfect.

Hindsight... wish we had the port placed as soon as she was diagnosed.  A very kind, but still "jerk face" technician spent over a half hour with the needle IN her arm to try and get an IV in so they could give fluids and sedation for port placement.  Since she was gone so long being prepped, we asked to go back.  At that time, we and another nurse interceded before he started trying her other arm (even had a vein scanning machine there). She said today she would win any contest for bruising with how her arm is.

Dr. Moeslein came by at almost the same time and said he could give her all needed meds while doing port- no IV needed.  Not sure why the tech  kept trying and putting her through pain if there were other options. He did mention his pride in a 99% success rate, but I feel he should have saved Mom's arm even if it hurt his stats (I'm probably being so mean since we should have requested a port earlier).

Even though our treatment plan was only for 3 chemo cycles (to begin with), there are still IVs needed for other tests.  And, with Mom's history of always having a hard time with veins, I wish her doctor had suggested a port.  Most of her apprehension for tests/chemo has been if they will find a vein.  It was only during her third cycle that the tech administering the chemo said the first thing he would do if ever diagnosed is get a port- he then explained how much simpler it is-  not sure why the option and benefits weren't presented months earlier.

So.. good news is port is in.  In 2 weeks we get the SIRT treatment for left lobe.  Will have a scan 4 weeks after that to see if we need to treat right as well.  I was very happy with Dr. Moeslein.  I have seen his name on this board-  wonderful manner, clear spoken, and willing to answer all questions. I asked if he would do CK down the road on Mom, but his specialty (besides the SIRT) is nano-knife.  While waiting, I started reading up on what he is doing.... if not for Mom, there may be others he could help. 

Thanks for being there to support and also giving me a place to vent.

Catherine

Wow, Catherine. I have a suggestion for all patients who have veins that roll or are not cooperative. You have a right to call in the "A" team. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks last Feb. and had some problems with my stubborn veins not cooperating. Finally a Nurse told me they were calling in the A team and after that I would only cooperate if they called in the A Team! Glad though that all that is done and I hope all the snow MELTS before you get home. Ha,Ha

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Hi, mom was sore and bruised but got through port and mapping.I'm on a business trip out of state but other family members took her for SIRT today. In recovery, lots of nausea. So she is getting IV fluids and meds, and they ended up admitting her.she has a history of nausea after coming out of anestisia and cannot take morphine and other narcs. But I thought this was going to be "twilight" sedation so wondering why she's having such difficulty. Do meds given by port effect stronger than needle? Wish I was home with her and family. Very long day for dad (married 54 years). I'M also worried that the movement from nausea could have affected sphere placement.  They did a second scan this evening and wondering why.  Guess I'll hear more tomorrow.

Hi Middlesister. The past 3 years I got colonoscopies every 6 months and they used Propofol (sp)  (twilight) and only once got sick after. Found out that before I awoke they gave me fentanyl.  Have now learned to tell anyone when giving me twilight....no Narcs after. Hope your Moms feels much better tomorrow.