Topic: My Alternative Therapy
Hey there everyone,
I was asked if I'd post what I'm doing as far as alternative therapy goes. I hesitate, because you need to check with your Doctor and/or Naturopath before taking any of the following. Everything truely depends on your own personal treatment plan.
I'm currently taking Taxol and Carboplatin chemo (which I'm finding out isn't necessarily the best treatment plan for CC). But with that in mind, this is what my Naturopath has me on:
1. Milk Thistle: protects the liver (liquid form is best)
2. Acidophilus + Bifidus: Good bacteria for the digestive tract; replaces those killed by antibiotics and chemo drugs.
3. Magnesium: deficiency common during carboplatin treatment
4. Reduced Glutathione: While this is an antioxidant, it has been shown to reduce side effects of carbo without reducing effectiveness of chemo. You do not take it the day you receive chemo or for three days after.
5. Herbal mixture: Reishi mushroom: immune system, bone marrrow, energy
Astragalus: immune system, bone marrow, energy
Ashwaganda: adrenals (stress), bone marrow, energy
Siberian Ginseng: Adrenals, bone marrow energy
6. Coriolus Mushroom: Immune Modulating; shown to improve prognosis when combined with chemo in a wide range of cancers
7. Artemesin: Here is an arcticle written on it: http://www.townsendletter.com/Dec2002/a … in1202.htm
8. "TM" (tetrathiomolybdate): Lowers your body copper (you can find out more about it at Life Extension website www.lef.org)
9. Low Dose Naltrexone: (www.lowdoesnaltrexone.org)
At the time my Naturopath (who used to be an Oncologist herself, and is now an Internist as well as a Naturopath), was helping me with Carcinoma of Unknown Primary. I see her again next week, to let her know the new diagnosis of possible CC. So we'll see what happens.
Hope the info helps. Also, there is a GREAT website that has been very helpful to us when it comes to questions about all these drugs and such. It's the Life Extension website at www.lef.org.