Topic: Isolated brain metastasis in cholangiocarcinoma: a case report and rev

Isolated brain metastasis in cholangiocarcinoma: a case report and review of literature.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24772834

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

2 (edited by marions Wed, 19 Apr 2017 21:46:10)

Re: Isolated brain metastasis in cholangiocarcinoma: a case report and rev

Thanks, Gavin.  Indeed it is a rare occurrence.  Within the 11  years of the existence of this board, we were fortunate to have only one report on brain metastases.  I so much wish for this to stay this way.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Yes Marion, a rare occurrence and fingers are crossed that we don't hear any more cases of this.

This from the BMJ in 2013 which again states how rare this metastasis is -

http://casereports.bmj.com/content/2013 … 5.full.pdf

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

My sister Karen developed brain mets from CCA.  She passed away on January 8 this year.  We were told that, while very rare, as people are staying alive longer with some new therapies, there are more metastasis to sites that weren't seen much before.

I'm glad to see that this topic hasn't seen much activity. My husband had 3 mets in the brain, both under 1 cm so they were only found because of a brain MRI after a memory lapse issue.

We got the good news tonight that after the 3 rounds of GEM/CIS he's had so far, the mets can no longer be found on the MRI...looks like the chemo took care of them first!

momof3.....that's fantastic news.  Few chemo drugs cross the blood brain barrier and I am happily surprised to hear of your husband's response to gem/cis. 

Hugs
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER