Topic: Numbers?

What data from blood and liver panels are important?  Last I counted I was getting data on over 20.

Obviously CA 19-9 and alk-phos; WBC? RBC? bilirubin? EGFR?  ???

Duke

Fighting with dignity, not desperation.

Live, Laugh, Love

Re: Numbers?

The biggest two I always look at for Mark....and my patients in general....Bilirubin level and WBC. The bilirubin because it is really a direct indication of how the liver is working and is less affected by others things like the Alk Phos, ALT and AST can be. WBC for the infection concerns....too high has an infection, too low and you could get one.

Of course I could make a great argument as a nurse that all of them are the most important for one reason or another. I also think that some are more important for than others for different people. Like someone who struggles with clotting is going to really watch platelets. One the CBC...complete blood count....the RBC's, Hct, HGB, WBC's and platelets are the biggest ones....the rest have to do with the size and such of the RBC's or the percent of WBC's.

And I agree CA 19-9 but we know it's not always accurate for cc.

I could go on and on but I will stop now. It seems that every number is important for something.

KrisV smile

Any advice given is based on my experiences and should not be substituted for any medical recommendations. Please speak with your provider before making any changes.

Every thing was created equal but some are more equal than others.

As an engineer I had to fight "analysis paralysis".  Spending too much time looking at everything and never getting anything done, being afraid I had missed something.  Which is why I was trying to limit the data.  I've graphed many of the numbers, looking more for trends rather than absolute values.  Even still, that takes time.

Side story.  When my wife was pregnant with our first child, I timed her contractions and time between contractions, then graphed them.  Worked fine until she went from 10 minutes between contractions to two minutes.  Not everything in the world is linear.  Aimee was not pleased that I was not paying attention to her.  Did not make the same mistake with the next two.  She got my full attention.  It didn't make a difference with the second - when we went in for a checkup on her due date the nurse found she was 9 cm dilated and had not had a contraction.  Badda bing, badda boom.  Had a baby in about an hour.

Duke

Fighting with dignity, not desperation.

Live, Laugh, Love

I understand the focus on the numbers. I did in the very beginning with every lab, every scan, everything.....not quite to graphs and such. Now I just really look at the ones that we have had issues with in the past.....Bilirubin, WBC's and platelets. For a long time I watched his sodium closely since he had troubles with that but it's good now.

I really got tied up with the Ca 19-9 in the very beginning but after multiple lectures and plenty of reading I am comfortable with the trending downward even when it pops up a bit.

This disease will drive us all crazy for sure.

KrisV

Any advice given is based on my experiences and should not be substituted for any medical recommendations. Please speak with your provider before making any changes.

Ah Duke....I should have known.....You are SUCH an engineer.  I'm married to one of your species <grin>  ...for almost 39 years now....and I have to say that your story about graphing labor contractions had me in tears of laughter.  ONLY an engineer!!!!  After 39 years of being married to one.....I'm afraid I've probably become more like he is.....we have our ducks in a row and numbers crunched. 

Oh man...did I enjoy that pregnancy story though........and I can just imagine what your wife was thinking as she went from 10 minutes to 2 minutes between contractions and what she wanted to do with your graphs.  smile))) 

Laughing......

Still laughing!!!!!

Just for today, I can get through anything.  "Never let fear decide your fate."  (from the band, Awoination.)

Kris......along this same subject (blood labs...not labor contractions).....my last Alk Phos was slightly over normal....had trended upward.  The nurse practitioner who was filling in for my onc (at a conference) said it was "non-specific."  I thought I understood, but now it doesn't.  It seems that it means that they don't know why it's raised.  Is that it?

Just for today, I can get through anything.  "Never let fear decide your fate."  (from the band, Awoination.)

Julie -
That's exactly it. There are a lot of reasons that it can be elevated. ALP is normally associated with the liver but it can come from the bone, kidneys and intestines in lower amounts.....so that being said it can go up for a variety of reason. I my husband's case his elevated liver enzymes over the last few years were attributed to a diabetic medication he was taking....in hindsight probably more related to the cc.
I would not get worried about it unless there are other numbers that are out of whack too, like the bilurubin and the ALT and AST. By itself it's pretty non-specific.

Duke the contractions/pregnancy story cracked me up....it reminded me of when my daughter went into labor with our first grandchild. She was living with us so we lived the process with her. She woke up at 6 am in labor and when I asked her how far apart she said "Oh, like 5-6 minutes." I wasn't worried. I told her to go for a walk  down the road with Mark while I showered and got ready.....they came back a few minutes later, Mark's eyes were huge. He practically yelled at me...."They aren't 5 minutes apart, they are like 3 minutes. This is not happening here." They apparently got a few houses down the road when he realized they were closer together than she told us. He was slightly panicked. I loaded her up and we had baby boy at 1:30. I still get the giggles every time I think about it.

KrisV