Topic: Breakfast in Iowa

It's a beautiful day here in the heartland of our nation.  Iowa is strutting her stuff with lush shades of green, punctuated by pops of the colors of flowers.  The temperature is in the mid 70s and perfect for a breakfast on the front portico (that's fancy talk for a cement porch with a roof but no screens).  I'm going to go out to sit on that porch and have breakfast, listen to the birds and watch the clouds drift by.

"Just for today, I can get through anything."  Hey....I'm a cancer survivor, not a doctor.  The opinions I state are my own, based on my personal experiences or knowledge.  As always, talk to your doctor about your concerns and treatment.

Re: Breakfast in Iowa

Sounds fabulous !!!
Enjoy
Lisa

This Information Is Not Intended Nor Implied To Be A Substitute For Professional Medical Advice. You Should Always Seek The Advice Of Your Physician Or Other Qualified Health Care Provider

Lisa, it WAS fabulous!   These are the beautiful days of summer in the midwest.  But, they are also the days and nights of wild weather also.  The day started so lovely, with just a smidge of clouds floating by, but ended with us going to the basement when the tornado sirens went off.  We had just come home from dinner with a long, long relative who visited from CA (poor gal is use to earthquakes....but not tornados and wild weather like we have).  We no sooner turned on the tv weather, the words, "hook echo," were mentioned and the tornado sirens went off.   I called the kids to make sure they knew but they were already in their basement with little Robert.  A circulation was called into the weather service just a mile south of our home...so it was just a tad tooooo close to home.  More storms tonight...and tomorrow...and Thursday too.  Iowa in the summertime. 

Iowa Girl
Julie T.

"Just for today, I can get through anything."  Hey....I'm a cancer survivor, not a doctor.  The opinions I state are my own, based on my personal experiences or knowledge.  As always, talk to your doctor about your concerns and treatment.

Oh My, Julie. nothing like a little excitement! We really don't get tornadoes, hurricanes or earthquakes but our Monsoon is about to start.  That would be 3 months of strong winds and the ones you see on TV where a wall of sand and dirt sail in are called Haboos, IF we are lucky we get some rain but it has not rained since January!  It is sunny almost everyday. In fact if we get a cloudy day I get so excited. KrisJ was visiting me at a friends lake house in Milwaukee last year and a tornado warning was issued.  I think we decided we could go in to the front closet as there was no basement but brave Kris goes outside to take pictures. I really think we were laughing up a storm! Not to make a pun.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Julie...it is fascinating to watch storms, on TV I might add.  Funny, us Californians consider Earthquakes as part of our privilege of living here and most of us would not trade it for storms or tornados, but we can't hide in a preserved space such as your storm shelters.  So, for that you are better of (I think.) 
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Hi Julie,

Breakfast on the porch sounds real nice, much better than storms and tornadoes!! Don't like the sound of these at all, or earthquakes if I am being honest! I see your storms on the news every time that they happen over your way and they look terrifying, as do earthquakes. I hope that you all stay safe! Think I'll stick with our rain, cold, snow and 6 month winters. Much brrrrrr at the time to that but I guess we are used to that here! Summer here just now and we are having a good spell, and mums garden looks real nice,

Hugs to all,

Gavin

PS - Lainy, not rained here since Monday, you'd be excited here a lot!! smile

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Good Morning All, 
  Well, actually, we DO get earthquakes here.....just very, very light ones compared to out west.  I discovered early in my cake business, when I was working into the wee hours, that occasionally, I felt a strange sensation of movement under my feet.  At first, I thought it was just that I was tired, but, it happened quite frequently.  A couple years later, we had a 3 something earthquake that moved a couple houses off their foundation across town.  That's when we found out that there is a small fault line that goes right through here.  Of course, the big earthquake in the early 1800s in Missouri, along the Mississippi River, caused the river to actually flow backwards...one of the bigger earthquakes of "current" times. 

Tornados.....my husband and I are both trained weather spotters for the US weather service.  We don't go out "looking" for tornados, but two times since we've been trained, we've seen a tornado and called in the report.  It's a little unnerving.  Probably the scariest was when I had a wedding cake customer here....and the lights went out with an approaching storm.  They were from Oklahoma and very use to bad storms and tornados, so we decided to go out on the porch to see what was coming.  The sky was green....which pretty much means big hail, and where there's hail, there's often a tornado, or the potential for one.  As we were standing there, the wind hit first one side of my face and in a breath.....it hit the other side....back and forth.  I was at first confused..but then looked up to see the circulation right over our heads....no time to go to the basement before it passed over.    Fortunately, it didn't lower all the way down....and it moved out over a field.  After we called it in, the sirens went off, and it hit a barn and outbuildings on a farm about 2 miles away.  Crazy Iowa weather.  Really glad for basements to go to when the sirens go off though.  Usually, there's more warning.

This morning.....woke up to thunder....and the threat of more storms today and tomorrow.  At least we're getting some rain.  The farm crops are doing well.

Oh...I forgot to add...one time we were at a courthouse in Henry Co,  Illinois at the end of the day....doing genealogy research for our family history.  I had been sitting on a stool, waiting for the clerks to make some copies of records for us....and when I stood up, I felt the familiar sensation of the floor moving.  The others, including my husband, who were all standing already, didn't feel a thing.  They all thought I was nuts.  But, the next day's newspaper had a headline about the "earthquake"...4.+ that was centered about 30 miles to the north of the courthouse.  smile)))  After that, my husband was a believer.  Guess I'm just a "sensitive" type.  smile