I was diagnosed with Extrahepatic CC in November of 2009. I had a Whipple in December 2009. I too was faced with the chemo or no chemo decision. I sought two second opinions who all said it was up to me since I had no lymph node involvement and clear margins. I spoke to my doctor extensively with my concerns both pro and con. Still the ultimate decision was mine. I decided to do it since it was "well tolerated" chemo (Gemzar) and would be 6 months long. I wanted to do everything I could to prevent a relapse. I decided against radiation therapy because I had actually found some research on that and it did not support radiation for those in my situation since the limited statistics didn't seem to support doing it.
So...what does that mean for you? Really nothing, each person must make this decision themselves. There are no 'standards' for this disease, each person is different.
My best advice is to make a decision, the best decision for you and own it. No second guessing, no regrets. Your decision is going to be the best one for you whatever it is.
Please feel free to contact me (email@example.com) if you have any questions. I can only speak from my own experience, but I will be honest with you for sure.
Wishing the best for you!
Survivor of cholangiocarcinoma (2009), thyroid cancer (1999), and breast cancer (1994).
My comments, suggestions, and opinions are based only on my personal experience as a cancer survivor. Please consult a physician for professional guidance.