Topic: Garage sale shopping after chemo today

Chemo today went better do to the two nurses working together to access my port.  None of the trauma of last week.  One pressed on my skin to hold the port in an upright position while the other one pushed in the needle ....and it worked...and was the least painful of all the previous attempts since April to access this darned thing.  It was the short chemo day, just a steroid and Gemcitibine.....and on the way home, we stopped for a burger and fries.....only thing that sounded good.....and then the car magically turned down a street with a garage sale.  It was billed as "Having no more babies sale."   smile  Whoohoo!!!   My friend , who had taken me to chemo, let me go to the sale and I picked up about 25 pieces of quality clothes for my little grandson for only $33.00.  It was all name brand stuff.....Gymboree, Carters, Children's Place......nice haul.  I hadn't gotten to do something like that for quite a while, so it was good therapy at the time, though very hot and humid.   There's nothing I like more than buying some things for that little grandson, Robert. He turns 3 years old on June 24th.....let the spoiling begin.  smile)))

The steroid I got during chemo gave me some issues this afternoon......very sleepy and some gastro type problems.  Later this evening, that settled down and my stomach/chest feels better again.  I'm not very tired.....again...probably the steroids...but will try to go to sleep in a little while.  I am now starting finally to yawn.

Julie T.

"Just for today, I can get through anything."  Hey....I'm a cancer survivor, not a doctor.  The opinions I state are my own, based on my personal experiences or knowledge.  As always, talk to your doctor about your concerns and treatment.

Re: Garage sale shopping after chemo today

Julie....sounds like a rather uneventful chemo day topped off with a huge find at the local garage sale.  Thrilled for you, Julie.  It is about time for things to settle for you; sure appears that you are on your way
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Marion,

If all the rest of the chemos go like yesterday, I will be thrilled....well..maybe not thrilled, but happier.  Can't say I'm thrilled to get chemo.  I ended up awake all night....the steroid got to me I guess.....but on the up side, I got to be awake when a storm came through....3/4 inches of rain in about 20 minutes with one crack of thunder that shook the house....nothing severe....just a good, old-fashioned summer time downpour.  There were flash flood warnings out for much of eastern Iowa overnight due to the big downpours of rain.  Flash floods can come down out of fields and go over the roads in areas that don't even have a creek....just following natural drainage patterns.  It's not so bad in the daytime, but at night, you can come up to a flash flood over the road in an instant and if the water is deep enough over the road, your car can get swept off the road.  But, last night, we were safe and sound.  More possible storms again sometime today....it all seems to melt together...I can't remember exactly when.  Oh well

After FINALLY getting tired enough, I went to bed a little after 5 a.m...and slept until almost noon....no dry heaving yet...so maybe that's over, but I took a Lorazapam just in case as I have a lot to do today and I still do feel a bit queasy.  Next on the agenda....get some breakfast/lunch. 

Just getting to stop at that garage sale was such a mood lifter, even if I felt crummy inside.  The rest of this week and next are filled with family events, Robert's birthday, Allen's retirement cake and punch reception at work, my brother and wife arriving on the 26th for several days, and my husband's after work drinks and munchies at a local restaurant on Friday the 27th (which also happens to be my brother's birthday).  The ONLY things I have to really do anything for or about, are getting the cakes frosted and decorated for little Robert's blue choo choo birthday cake and Allen's 5 big cakes for his office reception (there are about 300+ invited...but probably about half that will show up.....or else we're short of cake),  getting the sheets on the guest bed and making an apple pie for my brother's birthday.  I won't cook otherwise while they are here...the same as when they came last time.  It still sounds like a lot, but I will have help making the frosting for the cakes when the time comes.

Opps....weather alarm just went off for a severe storm warning for several counties to the west of us.  Let the fun begin.   smile

"Just for today, I can get through anything."  Hey....I'm a cancer survivor, not a doctor.  The opinions I state are my own, based on my personal experiences or knowledge.  As always, talk to your doctor about your concerns and treatment.

Hi Julie,

Yay to chemo going well today, yay to the garage sale and getting a bargain too and yay to the burger and fries as well!! smile

Hope that the rest of the chemo days go equally well and that you get some sleep tonight with no side effects later on as well. And, hoping that you can pick up some more bargains along the way as well! smile

Hugs,

Gavin

Any advice or comments I give are based on personal experiences and knowledge and are my opinions only, they are not to be substituted for professional medical advice. Please seek professional advice from a qualified doctor or medical professional.

Julie....oh, these steroids....can't do without, but can count on restless sleep for sure.  So glad you were able to catch some snooze later on.  Fingers and everything is crossed for no other unpleasant side effects heading your way. 
With all the exciting things heading your way, I don't see you having any time for anything but enjoying your week.    Sure wish I could join you and your family with all that is happening; though I could do without the bad weather you are reporting on. 
Stay save and  enjoy your week.
Hugs,
Marion

THIS INFORMATION IS NOT INTENDED NOR IMPLIED TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF YOUR PHYSICIAN OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROVIDER

Hmmm.....this last round of chemo seems to be different than the other two.  Since Monday, I've had dry heaves after having a shower.  It doesn't seem to matter if I eat a cracker or not....just happens.  Then, I feel pretty much fine.  Go figure.   But, I took a Lorazapam just in case.   Much to do today....but....IF I can swing the time...I'm headed out to another garage sale.  smile   Must go to the credit union to pick up some cash...just in case I get there in time for the ultimate finds.  (They have a Train Table and a Thomas the Train set.....  smile   )  Yes, I'm spoiling the little grandson, but that's what Grammies get to do, right?   It's just about the only thing he wants to play with right now.  .....he plays out the stories from the videos with his own trains.  Dang cute.  Okay...I'm a biased Grammy.  No storms today.....just overcast....so no sirens should be going off.  Whoohoo!  Finally a quiet weather day.

Julie, did anyone ever tell you how strange you are??? LOL
Do you like a HOT shower and I am referring to the water temperature! Since I started with  the Remicade infusions last September, when I get out of the shower all my skin itches until I put cream on it. Discovered a few weeks ago my shower was too hot! So for now its warm not hot and the itches stopped. Just thinking, which can be dangerous. Try changing the time of day for your shower and see if it still happens, could just be getting up in the morning. I get that also with the UC.  when I first get up. Seems like we are 2 peas in a pod.

Teddy ~In our hearts forever~ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING
Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

No dry heaves this morning.  Hooray!!!

YIPPEE!

Any suggestion I offer is intended as friendly advice based solely on my own experience. Please consult your doctor for professional guidance.

Julie -
So glad this one went better for you. I was thinking of you all day on Thursday and keeping my fingers crossed that all went well. I love that you are trying so hard to let life go on with you as part of it.....it can be tough but you are doing it.
Steroids will kind of hop you up. Mark almost always had to take a pain pill and a couple of lorazepam to sleep for a couple days when taking the steroid. Of course you can use the energy for good things....I was hoping he would clean house....but you know how that went.
I am getting my grandma fix this weekend. My daughter picked up an ugly bug so I volunteered to take the munchkin for the weekend. It was such a hardship.
I went a little overboard a couple of weeks ago. I stopped at a baby resale shop we have in town to get my little guy some tank tops and summer where and walked out with that and a fire engine toddler bed....oh boy did I get the look from Mark along with an eye roll. My daughter has been trying to transition to a toddler bed for weeks and he won't have anything to do with it. So we got a beep-beep (what he calls anything with wheels) bed and no problems now. Loves it. The funny part was breaking it down into the 8 pieces and getting it in the car. it was funny.
Hope your day today goes well too.

KrisV

Any advice given is based on my experiences and should not be substituted for any medical recommendations. Please speak with your provider before making any changes.

Dear Kris, you and Julie do what Grandmas cannot help but do! I know all too well. I LOVE the Fire Engine bed, would get one for me but the fire went out a long time ago!!!
So am cooking up a storm today as my son and daughter are coming for dinner tomorrow and it gives me something to do. I just realized something too funny. My daughter's ex is Japanese, the kids are Jap/JEW , more so on the Jew stuff and without even thinking about it I am making Orange Marmalade glazed Chix, a Jewish dish called a noodle Kugel, Asian Cole Slaw and an Israeli salad.  SO I am sitting here laughing at myself. I am prepping today as I can't do anything anymore all in one day. Oh, and my son may be bringing a date originally from Viet Nam. And lets not forget my favorite Sicilian Catholic whose pic is on the wall. Oh, and Robin's BF right now is a very religious guy active in a Bible Church. Well, my kids always tell me I taught them tolerance...guess so, we are a United Nations family and I love it.

Oh Lainy, I am coming to your house to eat. Sounds so good. Mark is really in to watching the Food channels right now which thankfully makes him hungry....but me too.
We are probably having hot dogs and macaroni and cheese since it's all about the little guy tonight. Can't say it's my favorite combo but I will take one for the team tonight since Mark always loves that kind of stuff too. He always tell me he got so round before he got sick because I am such a good cook....I tell him I am an okay cook....he just loves to eat. He doesn't deny it.

And you do have the melting pot family. Just don't talk religion smile That was always the rule at our house.

KrisV

Any advice given is based on my experiences and should not be substituted for any medical recommendations. Please speak with your provider before making any changes.

Kris, we can talk religion unless Robin's BF comes. If you don't believe as he does you are going to hell in a hand basket!  I set him straight one night at Robins when he told me that God did not hear my pleas for Teddy since I didn't pray through this guys channels. I politely said, "We are all going to the same place, we are only taking different paths to get there and I am shocked at you being so religious with no tolerance at all". That set the record straight. Guess he sees me as a threat where Robin is concerned and I see him as a doofus! Bottom line though I will NEVER argue with a guest at my house, there is always a right time and place. Anyway right now I try to keep all stress out of my life. Kids will do what they want anyhow. Teddy and I sang in my Jewish choir for 15 years here. Then he would go to his St. Stevens on Sunday for Mass and I always said (jokingly that he sang in the choir on Friday nights for the Sabbath then went to Church on Sunday to ask forgiveness.  Finally the Priest said their choir needed equal time, so he did that too. Actually we had both the Priest and the Rabbi officiating for the Memorial and it was the 1st time ever a Rabbi was on the alter in that Church. We also had both choirs.  That was my T always bringing people together.

Julie,

Glad to hear that you are having a good weekend.
You have a very eventful week ahead of you, so dry heaves STAY AWAY.

Kris,

I too would like a hot dog from time to time. My Dad will call me " a junk food lover" if he sees me eating it, I don't ever recall seeing him eating one.

Lainy,

I come from a mixed religion marriage.
My Dad is a Catholic and my Mom is a Muslim, our Mom is the one who raised us in the Catholic faith. Not "Right Wing Catholic" though, I know Julie is giggling about that one.
The majority of Christians in the Middle East and Europe are either Catholic or Orthodox. When I came to The US, I was surprised with how many different Churches there is. I figured maybe more is better and it might be a good way for every person to practice in a church that he feels it reflects his believes.
What bothered was that I would meet people ( not at a church or religious events) that will try to preach to me and make me feel like if I am going to hell if I didn't share their views or belong to their church. Kind like your daughter's boyfriend I am assuming.

To all of them I say:
Kiss my ... Right cheek and I will turn my left for you.
God will not judge us on our religion but  He will judge us on the results of our actions and no one else is to do so.

Emad

"For as it goes through fire, passioned with a rebirth desire; it burns to ashes, and a new life dashes; for the Phoenix shall rise"  As I am the Phoenix and i will hold your hands  ...
I will always make you proud
My Angels "SEEK"

Amen to that, Emad! Most people are such good people no matter who or what they believe it is just so sad the world over that people cannot just let others live as they want and as long as you don't hurt others, God Bless.

Emad,

I just finished reading your post and was thinking to post AMEN!  Paged down and see that Lainy beat me to it.  smile   I totally agree with both of you so will say it anyway.

AMEN!!!!!

"One Day At A Time"

All of my comments and suggestions are just my opinions and are not a substitute for professional medical advice.   You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care providers.

Emad -
i agree with Lainy, Amen to that. I grew up Catholic although do not do much at all at this time. I truly believe that God knows what is in our heart and judges us on that rather than many of the other things people say. I have met some very intolerant people of many different religions. It's either my way or the highway.
I hope your dinner turns out good tomorrow Lainy....I know it will.

KrisV

Well, what a day.   The dry heaves didn't stay away after all...just raised their ugliness a little later...once in the afternoon and again tonight.  Both times, I took a Lorazapam after they settled down and my stomach went back to normal, whatever that is. 

We and the kids were going to go to a crawdad fest at our cousins's house (annual event), but just as we were leaving, we got a call from the kids that their water heater had broken and soaked the new carpet in their basement.  Sigh.  So, now the birthday party for our grandson will be at OUR house on Sunday morning.  We went to the grocery store and picked up a fruit platter and ice cream (for the cake) .  The other grandparents are in a hotel and will come over here as well. 

We did (without the kids) go to the crawdad fest....but as soon as I sat down, the smell of the crawdads drifted my way and I felt sort of sick the rest of the night.  I made it through the evening...and even through the grocery story.....but barely.  ONce back to the car....the dry heaves finally hit again.  Very strange thing about them....nothing ever comes up.....and after several minutes of them, I feel much better...and that's that. 

This afternoon, my DIL came over to help make frosting and mix colors for me.....and then I sat and decorated a Thomas the Train shaped cake for the birthday boy.  That really went quite well....felt fine.  The little guy is really excited.   

Kris...I knew we were two peas in a pod......I love to go to the resale shops to find things for little Robert. .....husband generally never says a word.....he knows how happy it makes me to find things for the little guy.  I've been known to over do it though.  smile)))