Topic: Biliruben count and Chemo
My mom-in-law is suffering with CC. Here is a quick summary:
- Diagnosed late March,
- Underwent a failed surgical attempt in May, said tumor was unresectable and chemo/radiation are the way to go. Doc supposedly put in a bile duct bypass to connect duct from liver to the intestine
- Recovery in June
- One external drain put in through her rib-cage to drain out the absyss that was collecting post surgery (was in hospital for 9 days)
- That drain eventually dried up and she started getting jaundiced again
- They put a second external drain (one end on the outside, the other end gping through the liver to the BD to the intestine) about 15 days back
- Last week they closed both drains and removed the external bags
So far chemo or any treatment has not started since the oncologist says she is waiting for a green signal from the surgeon as to when he thinks bile management is under control. Last we checked, her biliruben was 116.
Question I have is what is the target bili level before which they can start chemo safely?
We are concerned that the cancer may be spreading but we have not even started any treatment after almost 4 months after it was originally diagnosed.
(Treatment is being done in Toronto General Hospotal and oncologist in in Princess Margeret Hospital)