Round 6 of the Gem/Cis chemo is on hold for now per my Mayo doctor. He was fine with all of my blood counts, except those associated with my kidneys. Both were trending higher, out of normal range. He wants them to be back into the normal range before I would get any more chemo.....in his words, "There's no point in frying the kidneys."
So, I go back to the local oncologist on August 13th to get labs drawn to see if I'm okay to do round 6 or not. If the Bun and Creatinine levels are not where they should be, then we will wait a week (can't remember if he said week or even two if needed) to get kidney numbers back to normal before checking blood levels again. If they don't settle back into normal, then round 6 isn't probably going to happen.
Meanwhile, Yes, I've been pushing fluids.
The MRI also showed a small hiatal hernia which explains some of the digestive feelings I've had. Must eat and drink smaller amounts at a time.
As for round 5, which started July 23rd with the Gem/Cis infusion, I'm still dry heaving from that . I'm looking forward to next week....when hopefully, that will settle down and I'll have some good days again.
I now must find a podiatrist to work on my big toenail that ingrew and became badly infected (my big toe was the color of and looked like a ripe, red plum.). I have a bandage on it and a walking shoe/boot from the ER, which helps. The nurse practitioner put me on an antibiotic and we're waiting for the results of the culture to make sure the antibiotic will kill the bug in there. We went to the Olmstead Hospital ER ....most all of their doctors and nurses are Mayo educated....and the wait time was almost nothing. We had been told that the ER wait time at St. Mary's Hospital (part of Mayo) was 5-6 hours. We got fantastic treatment at Olmstead and I gave my CC wristband to my nurse practitioner. He asked some questions....and was super nice.
Just for today, I can get through anything. "Never let fear decide your fate." (from the band, Awoination.)